I Will Follow You to Hell and Back

Outside the cabin, dawn tinted the frozen mountains a violent orange. The fresh snow glowed in a surreal, breathtaking landscape.

Re walked in silence for a few minutes, snowfall creaking underfoot, brushing against his pants

Re walked in silence for a few minutes, snowfall creaking underfoot, brushing against his pants. Margherita's sweet warmth pressed against his back.

Now that the sky was clear, Luca could quickly gather that they'd fallen off the slope about midway in between the chalet and the restaurant; if Luca hadn't rescued Margherita, she would have died fifteen minutes away from him. He exhaled with relief.

"What?" she asked.

"I don't think you've thanked me enough." He gloated.

"Oh, fine!" She growled, but then she softened as she leaned the side of her face against his back. "Thank you."

Re warmed, inside out.

They walked in silence a bit longer, during which Margherita worked up the courage to add, "How can I ever repay you?"

She was hoping he'd ask for something ridiculous, like a date, or a kiss.

He pondered. "Can you make me one of those ugly sandwiches you have for lunch?"

Her arms squeezed him a bit tighter, and his breath caught. Was she hugging him?

"You bet," she answered.

No way was Re evil or manipulative. He could have asked anything, and pleaded for a sandwich. However, Mauro's story had been confirmed by Francesca, and Mauro would never lie in the first place. Margherita could not wrap her head around it.

She asked, "Can you tell me what happened with Mauro's brother?"

Luca paused in his tracks, surprised. "No, actually. Legally, I'm required not to talk about what happened. Why?"

She exhaled, and he resumed walking, quiet for a few minutes.

Then he said, "You know, I thought even my 'heart of steel' would stop." He was looking straight ahead, at the chalet now in view. "Don't make me worry so much."

His earnest words surprised her and reminded her of the way he used to be before she'd broken his heart by kissing Lorenzo. For someone so proud and stubborn, he sure had a way to make himself vulnerable. He'd been brave to the point of stupidity.

"Mm," she agreed, her smoldering cheek against his back.

The gang had been shoveling around the cabin, calling their names.

"Here!" Re called. "We're here!"

Their friends rushed them, hollering and screaming, hugging them into the snow. The reunion was as joyful as the separation had been dreadful.

Inside the chalet, Re put Margherita down, and Chiara smothered her. The P2 hugged Luca.

Laura and Stefania woke up, and Stefania burst into tears. "Re! I thought I'd lost you! How could you?"