Love or Dread...or Both?

The night of the date came. The December evening was humid but mild, and Luca opted to pick up Margherita on his motorbike. He'd gotten his driving license as soon as he'd turned eighteen, but driving a car in Milan was an inefficient nightmare, particularly so close to the holidays. Also, his cars were a little too showy, and he'd rather enjoy Margherita's undivided attention for once. Not to mention that any excuse to be close to her sounded pretty amazing, and he loved his motorbike.

Margherita came down from her apartment building in skinny jeans, her white combat boots, and a gray sweater that hit mid thigh. She was the most underdressed date Luca had ever had (and the first to get on his bike). Well, she looked amazing without even trying.

Except that, unbeknownst to Re, she had been trying, since she wore some mascara and lipgloss. Immediately, Luca thought about kissing her but, chastised by Giuliano's advice, swallowed the impulse.

"Hi," she said, moving a lock of hair behind her ear, looking at the sidewalk.

Margherita had not expected Luca to be on a motorbike and was ecstatic. He was all in black, including his bike, and smiled, which shorted her brain for the best part of a minute. Excitement and terror mixed inside her in equal parts.

Humidity buzzed against the electric lines, and a cat scuttled out of a dumpster

Humidity buzzed against the electric lines, and a cat scuttled out of a dumpster. Small and colorful Christmas trees crammed the balconies of the many public housing towers, and a few strings of lights blinked, asymmetrically draped around the occasional window. That was it as far as holiday decorations; the contrast with downtown was striking.

 That was it as far as holiday decorations; the contrast with downtown was striking

Re, breathless, offered her a helmet. "Climb up?" He felt like the prince in Cinderella, except for the distinct feeling that he was the one being rescued.

She nodded, put the helmet on, and swiftly took the back seat. Re shuddered as her hand rested on his shoulder as she adjusted.

He added, "Hold on tight, and lean with me, okay? Avoid sudden movements."

Margherita, like most Italians, had been on bikes before but appreciated the refresher. Unbeknownst to her, Luca had raced since he was fourteen and could handle the bike in most situations.