Lucky

"Hell yeah I was a cheerleader in high school." He laughed.

"I don't believe it." I laughed.

"I was all the bad bitches were on the cheer team. I bagged all them bitches too." He laughed.

"Im sure you did." I said still laughing at the visual.

"What about you?" He asked.

"I was a nerd. I was in like book club and art club. My face was always in a book." I said kinda embarrassed.

"I can see that. Shit your face is always in a book now." He said but the way he said it was like he wasn't judging me more like he noticed it.

"Yeah I love books. Shit I love drawing too." I shrugged.

"Let me see your drawings." He said.

"Naww I can't it's nothing good. Just some scribbles." I shrugged.

"Ma don't do that I'm for real. Let me something." He said.

       I went between the mattress to my sketch pad. I put it in his had and watched as he went threw it. Some of them were clothes and some of them were portraits.

"Who's this?" He asked.

"My sister. We met at the group home. We promised to have each other's back but shit came back to bite us. She aged out met a guy and he would beat her just for sport but like me she couldn't leave. She had kids with him and despite how he treated her he was a good dad. I guess sometimes we get desperate for that family feel no matter how much it hurt us." I shrugged.

"Im sorry to hear that." He said flipping the page and seeing a portrait of his daughters at dance class. He asked if he could have this one and I ripped it out and handed it to him. He took it and walked out the room. I followed him and he put it on the fridge.

"Why are you doing that?" I asked.

"Mama you got talent and it needs to be shown. You captured my daughters in a way I haven't seen them in a while. Look how happy they are. The brightness in their eyes. The smile on their face. It's beautiful." He said.

"Thanks.."

"Daddy, can we go to the mall?" Saphire asked. Antonio didn't say nothing he just ignored them. I was confused but it wasn't my place.

"He must want us to ask her. I'm not doing it." Emerald said.

"Good don't because I wouldn't ride in the car with you two if God paid me." I said

"Daddy you gonna let her talk to us like that?" Saphire said.

"Remember I'm dead so whatever you need ask my wife." He said and kissed my cheek and went in the fridge.

"So you gonna take us or what?" Emerald snapped.

"Nope." I said.

"And this why we will never like you." Emerald said.

"And this is why I'll never give a fuck." I said grabbing a water and heading to my room. I went to open my door but I was stopped. Perk turned me around.

"Come sleep in my room love." He said.

"I don't think that's a good idea." I said.

"Lucky I'm not asking you. I'm tell you." He said and grabbed mybhand.