chapter 6: JHS

"you did such a good job, son!"

"look at all these achievements. oh, i can tell he'll be a great teacher in the future!"

"hoseok, our pride and joy!~"

"ah, hoseok! what is this? how vulgar?!"

"your hands are now dirty because you touched your private part, now what are we going to do?!"

"where did you learn this nasty behavior?!"

"what do you mean you don't want to be a teacher? you either be a teacher, a doctor, or a failure!"

"i raised you like my own son. act like one!"

i recall the events that happened back in my youth. i was an obedient son. a good student of two teachers that i called parents. they gave me light and hope. they also gave me fear and doubt. their faces of disbelief and disappointment marked in my memories.

i opened my eyes and saw my screen. i'm leaning back on my office chair, arms on the desk, and my head resting on my fist. i had to rest my eyes closed for a few minutes because they were starting to feel dry and it burns. i didn't notice that i dozed off.

someone suddenly tap the surface of my wing panel. it's his folder. i looked up who it was and i saw my colleague offering a canned coffee. he gave it to my face and i'm forced to take it.

"thanks," i smiled warmly. i glimpse at the flavor and it's dark coffee.

oh, no. this one is going to kick pretty hard for me.

"you're overworking again, hoseok," he teased as he sat down on his chair. i secretly put the coffee inside my sliding drawer. i hum, "mm-hm, this week is hell."

he chuckles, "haha! it's always been hell here."

"don't be too loud, namjoon," i said with a grin as i continued to tap my fingers on the keyboard. i add, "we don't want the boss yelling at us."

"yeah, yeah," he said lazily. i could hear him slurping the coffee after.

well, that ends our small break.

further conversation could get our boss' attention and that will be troublesome for both of us. we don't want him yapping at us first thing in the morning.

yes, you can say we don't like him. hate? no, we don't. at least in my case, i don't hate him. he's the reason i'm still here until today, but lately he has bad temper. but hate is a strong word, so let's not⸺

ping!

my phone suddenly dings. i reach for it beside the surface of my desk and check the message. my smile falling after.

Yoongi: let's meet at the park.

oh, no. here i was hopeful he won't be texting today. it was 4 days ago the last time we talked at the family restaurant. he suddenly invited me to his place, but i insisted of just going back home. thankfully, i escaped from that, but this time, he seemingly didn't want to give up.

Yoongi: tell me where you work, it's not fair to know mine, right?

Yoongi: i'm waiting by the entrance.

Yoongi: when will you be off?

Yoongi: i wanna drink. join me.

Yoongi: c'mon, old man.

Yoongi: stop avoiding me, Hoseok.

and more. these are the messages he sent me these past few days. there are even stickers of cartoon cats. not only that, he even started to call me names!

first a horndog, now an old man?

like old man, really?

he's a year older than me. no one ever called me a horndog, especially an old man before. he's the first one to do so!

urk! let's not be stressed out, hoseok.

i didn't reply to him this time. i'm currently eating onigiri, rice ball with tuna inside. namjoon invited me to eat lunch with him.

i'm staring at the message that yoongi have sent me earlier. i took a sip from my orange juice box. i'm eating silently while thinking of what to reply.

what kind of excuse will i pull today?

" 'you sure you're doing fine, hoseok?" namjoon suddenly asked. he's eating double-cheese with egg grilled sandwich. he glimpse at the phone on my hand, "you keep looking at your phone."

"it's just someone been bugging me to go out lately, mister joon," i pushed a smile. i close my phone and put it beside. i continue to eat. we're currently in the convenience store.

"i told you to just call me by my first name," he said with a frown. he always tell me this whenever i call him that. it's because he feels old. i chuckled, "sorry, it became a habit."

"so what kind of person are they?" he changed the subject in an instant. he look interested to talk about yoongi.

heh, how nosy!

"he's persistent," i said in all honesty. "he doesn't stop until he gets what he wants."

"hmm," he nodded with a hum. his head perked with his guess, "was it the short guy who picked you up last night?"

i widened my eyes from that question. oh, so he saw us yesterday? i knew it, it's bad idea to tell yoongi where i work. here i was hoping nobody saw us from my workplace especially to yoongi.

"you heard us?" i hesitantly asked. i became stiff because i don't like people finding out what they shouldn't find out. yoongi even made a sexual joke that night such as:

"it's not like i'm gonna jump on you," while his fingers made an ok sign. his tongue sticking out and then motion his hand in a bobbing manner. his free hand pocketed inside his jacket. he smirks while doing so, "unless you're into that."

ugh, stop.

that was embarrassing!

don't think too hard about it, hoseok.

snap out of it.

don't get 'hard' over some silly thing. he's just teasing too much.

i heard namjoon laughing, "hahaha! you just made a cringe face! he must've done something unbelievable, huh?"

oh, so he didn't hear us that night. the relief i had as i breathe out, though my face felt warm. i slightly smile in relief. with my shy respond, "he's just being him."

though he's bolder than before. back in college, he used to be more of a in-denial pervert than now. his work must've taught him a lot.

ah, is this jealousy?

am i upset about it?

"enough about me, so what about you, namjoon?" i crumpled the plastic wrapper of the onigiri. i rested my arms on the surface of this long table as i looked at him. "you're not seeing anybody?"

he then smiled warmly, though his eyes looked sad. he grabs his soft drink. without looking back, "nope." he drank shortly after, "haven't been that long since i broke up with my ex."

the mood instantly changed to a serious one. i think i asked him a wrong question. i feel bad now.

he touched his empty ring finger. i saw regrets in his eyes. with low tone almost like a whisper, "we both agreed to end our marriage."

how sad to hear that. i don't know what to say, but i do know i shouldn't have brought it up. if only i knew he has that kind of situation, i wouldn't ask in the first place, of course. i finally apologize, "i'm sorry."

he shook his head and tried to smile, "nah, it's fine." he sighs, "ha~, i needed that."

i didn't know namjoon shoulder something like this. it must've been tough keeping it in. i smile in hopes that it'll cheer him up even for a bit.

"y'know, what?" i should treat him a drink. this topic should be for tonight with food and alcohol. i invite him, "want to drink after work?"