42 || where the sun cannot reach

The Atadon Crater.

It's been around since she entered the game, and yet Mariko never heard of it mentioned before stumbling upon the name in the airship's control room. She supposes it only makes sense that the developers would choose to camouflage a virtual recycle bin amidst Paracosia's most unsightly and unpleasant terrain. The region surrounding Hollowmire is, as a whole, a wasteland. No one in their right mind would choose to remain within its borders any longer than necessary. And Mariko, for one, is far outside of her right mind at the moment. In that sense, it avoids worsening her condition. In the same way that entering a hot room after being exposed to extreme cold for so long can cause you to feel sick. Even if the sun were out and Mariko could feel the warmth on her skin, she would probably wish it to hide behind the clouds again. At least for now. She relies on the stale air and craggy landscape.

Thanks to the navigation device Abe gave her before they parted ways, Mariko doesn't have to worry about getting lost. Even in this environment, it still functions. Unlike her PSO watch in the Iceberry Mountains, where she and the others relied on Mono's knowledge of the area to keep them on track. Mono is far from her now. Everyone is. Except Soleil, who continues to hold her hand with the determination of a mother not wanting to get separated from her child.

Even so, Mariko is the one who leads. With her own stubborn determination, she holds the phone-like gadget in her hand, keeping a close eye on the flashing blue dot that indicates her position. A yellow arrow towards the top of the screen guides her. Every so often she pinches the screen just to check how close they are to their destination.

Not much further now. If it weren't for the omnipresent fog, Mariko is sure they would be able to see the crater's border, where Abe has been patiently awaiting their arrival.

"I... I see him."

Soleil breaks the silence with a gentle whisper. Mariko glances over her shoulder to find the android peering into the distance, her eyes glowing. "Abe?" Mariko whispers back. Soleil nods.

"Looks like he sees us, too."

It isn't long before Mariko pieces together the outline of someone waving in the distance. After tucking the navigation device into her bag, she waves back. The layers of fog begin to peel back as she grows closer to him. The faintly glowing lights on Abe's face become clear, then the bright yellow half of his long coat. Then his smile of great relief, which Mariko struggles to fix on. Her focus shifts first to the elevator mechanism Abe stands next to. It's a bit more rustic than she was expecting. Similar to the apparatus that lowered her and Soleil into Mono's prison cell back in Bluegate. It hangs just over the edge of the massive crater before them.

"Oh, thank goodness," Abe breathes, hand over his chest. "I was contemplating heading to Hollowmire myself to see if everything were alright. Did you-..."

He stops himself before the question fully forms. As she makes a quick glance at his face, Mariko gathers that he came to the correct conclusion himself. Only she and Soleil are here. Two out of the three he was anticipating. His shoulders fall.

"The elevator is functioning, I take it?" Soleil asks, quick to change the subject. She squeezes Mariko's hand.

"Ah...yes." Abe puts on a smile and nods. He lifts an awkward hand to brush the blue locks out of his face. "Up and running, just like I promised. It really didn't take long."

"Sorry to keep you waiting."

"O-oh, not at all, Miss Mariko." He swiftly shakes his head. "No apology necessary. I'm just glad you're...unharmed."

She may have since wiped the tears from her cheeks, but Mariko is certain Abe has noticed the redness of her eyes. As if there weren't enough glaring signs as to what had occurred in his absence. But at least he knows better than to address it out loud.