10

The next day, with the morning light streaming through the window, Soyeon was focused on helping Soojin with the morning meal prep. The rhythmic sound of the knife chopping carrots on the cutting board was a meditative background to their quiet morning. Without warning, a pair of arms gently wrapped around Soyeon's waist, pulling her out of her culinary concentration. She didn't need to turn around to know it was Yuqi; the warmth and the slight pressure of antlers against her back were unmistakable.

"Good morning, Yuqi..." Soyeon greeted, her voice soft with a mixture of affection and amusement. The cozy embrace was a pleasant way to start the day, except for the slight oversight. As Yuqi nuzzled into her neck, her antlers inadvertently poked Soyeon, causing her to wince and pull away slightly. "Ow, your antlers!" she exclaimed, more surprised than hurt.

"Oops, I'm sorry..." Yuqi's voice was laced with genuine concern as she quickly stepped back, her hands moving to check if she had inadvertently caused any real harm.

Soyeon couldn't help but smile at Yuqi's apologetic tone, finding the deer hybrid's concern endearing. "It's okay, just be careful next time," she advised, turning to face Yuqi with a soft look in her eyes. The moment highlighted how their lives had intertwined in such an unexpected way, blending human and hybrid experiences into a single, cohesive family unit.

Soojin, who had been quietly observing the interaction, chuckled from the other side of the kitchen. "You two are getting along well," she commented, her voice carrying a note of approval and relief. The presence of Yuqi and Soyeon had brought a new sense of life and warmth into the cabin, something that both she and Shuhua had come to cherish.

Yuqi, still feeling a bit guilty about the antler incident, decided to make it up to Soyeon. "Let me help with that," she offered, gesturing towards the vegetables that Soyeon was preparing. Soyeon nodded, handing her a knife and a few carrots. Under Soyeon's watchful guidance, Yuqi began to cut the carrots, her movements careful and deliberate. The simple act of preparing a meal together seemed to strengthen their connection, a silent acknowledgment of their shared life and the mutual care that had grown between them.

Shuhua, attracted by the laughter and conversation, bounded into the kitchen, her eyes bright with curiosity. The young hybrid quickly joined in, eager to help and be part of the morning's activities.

The group gathered in the living room, the warmth from the kitchen following them as they settled in front of the television. Soojin grabbed the remote and flipped to the news channel, where the headline of the day was about another incident involving the snake hybrid at the laboratory. The screen showed footage of the chaos, with people running, police surrounding the area, and scientists being interviewed about the dangers of such hybrids.

Yuqi sat close to Soyeon, her expression a mix of curiosity and concern. Shuhua, on the other hand, seemed more wary, her eyes glued to the images of the snake hybrid being discussed. Soojin watched with a furrowed brow, clearly troubled by the news.

"The situation is getting worse," Soojin muttered, shaking her head. "These incidents are just fueling the fire for those who want hybrids to be strictly controlled, or worse."

Soyeon squeezed Yuqi's hand, a gesture meant to comfort both the deer hybrid and herself. "It's scary to think about what could happen if things keep going this way," she admitted, her voice low. "Especially for hybrids like Yuqi and Shuhua."

Yuqi leaned her head against Soyeon's shoulder, seeking reassurance. "We're safe here, right?" she asked, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

"Of course, we are," Soojin quickly assured, turning to face the hybrids with a determined look. "We'll make sure of it. This place is a sanctuary for us all."