21

Yuqi stands by the window, her gaze lost in the distance, a silent vigil for the return of Soyeon. The room around her is filled with the unspoken worry and sadness that each of them carries, a shared burden of uncertainty about the future.

Breaking the silence, Minnie slithers towards Yuqi, her movements graceful and quiet. In her hands, she holds a cup of tea, its steam gently rising into the air.

Yuqi turns from the window to accept the cup, her hands wrapping around the warm ceramic. She offers Minnie a small, grateful smile, a moment of silent communication that conveys her appreciation for the support. "Thank you," Yuqi whispers, her voice barely audible over the quiet hum of the loft.

Minnie nods, her eyes reflecting understanding and shared sadness. "She'll be back," Minnie says with a quiet conviction, trying to infuse the moment with hope, despite the uncertainty that lingers in the air. "We just have to believe and wait."

Yuqi takes a sip of the tea, allowing its warmth to seep into her, a temporary balm to the ache in her heart. She returns her gaze to the window, the cup of tea in her hands a small comfort in the waiting.

"You seem to be a fast learner..."

Yuqi's observation brings a small, almost imperceptible smile to Minnie's face. "Miyeon taught me... A lot..." she replies, her voice reflecting a mix of fondness and shy pride over her progress.

Yuqi, intrigued by Minnie's improvement, presses on, "I mean, you can talk straight now..."

"I guess so..." Minnie concedes, her voice still carrying a hint of her characteristic reticence.

Turning to face Minnie directly, Yuqi's curiosity blooms further. "You know, I never get to talk to you. You seem very introverted, though I wanted to know stuff about you... And, it's the cold aura that you have, as a snake hybrid I guess..." she says, her tone soft, inviting Minnie to open up.

Minnie considers Yuqi's words for a moment, the mention of her "cold aura" making her ponder how much of it was her nature and how much was the wall she built around herself. "It's not just the snake part of me," she begins, her voice a little stronger now, emboldened by the chance to share a piece of herself. "Growing up, it was hard to trust, to open up. Being what we are... it makes you cautious, but being with you all, I've been learning. Learning that it's okay to let someone in, even if just a little."

Yuqi listens intently, her expression one of understanding and empathy. "It's not easy, I know. We all have our walls, our stories... But I'm glad you're here with us, Minnie. And I'm glad Miyeon has been able to help you find your voice."

Minnie nods, the warmth in Yuqi's words wrapping around her like a comforting blanket. "Being here... with you all... it's changed me, I think. For the better."

"I have a question for you, Minnie..." Minnie, intrigued, turned her full attention towards Yuqi and responded, "What is it?"

Yuqi hesitated for a moment, searching for the right words, "What does Miyeon mean to you?" It was a simple question, yet loaded with layers of unspoken thoughts and feelings.

Minnie's eyes drifted off for a moment, lost in thought. The silence stretched between them, filled with the weight of Minnie's contemplation. Finally, she spoke, her voice softer than usual, "I... I'm not exactly sure how to put it into words. She's more than just family to me, more than just a friend. It's like she's a part of me that I didn't know was missing until I met her..."

Yuqi, intrigued by Minnie's answer, pushed a little further, "Do you mean, she's your mate?" This was a delicate question, touching on the deep bond shared between two individuals.