9. Keefe's POV

NO

That was Keefe's only thought as his mother held up the explosive crystal. Those crystals had destroyed Brumevale.

They had killed Vespera.

And even though Keefe knew that for all that she had done, Vespera deserved it, he couldn't help the pure fury that was directed at his mother.

She was saying something about how happy getting to kill the Council all at once would make her, but Keefe couldn't hear her. He just heard one word.

No

No

No!

NO!

"NO!"

It took him a second to realize that he'd said the word aloud.

"I'm done. I'm done with the manipulation, the fake love, the promise that you're helping. You're not, and you know it. I'm done letting you, or anyone else run things. " Keefe paused.

"I have my own legacy now. And it doesn't involve you at all." Keefe took a deep breath, and braced himself to do the one thing he'd been scared of since that day in the cave.

He thought only of his pure hatred for his mother, and his fear of hurting any of his friends.

He wouldn't hurt them again.

This was his power, and he had to accept that it was a part of him now. He wasn't afraid, not anymore.

Only angry.

And so, knowing in his heart that he wouldn't, couldn't hurt his friends, he decided to give his mom a taste of the manipulation that he had felt.

"STOP!" he screamed. 

She did. And miraculously, no one else stopped with her.

Gisela plummeted towards the ground, frozen mid sentence. As she fell, a Councillor, Liora, rushed to help her. She conjured up a stack of pillows to break Gisela's fall.

Unexpectedly, she picked Gisela up and threw her over her shoulder.

"Liora, what are you doing?" asked Councillor Zarina.

"I am doing what I think is right. I've been on this Council long enough to know that this world has taken a turn for the worst, thanks to humans. Gisela's methods for change are, albeit, cruel, and should be unnecessary. But they aren't. They are necessary, because the only way this world will accept change is by force. And now, I am a part of that force." Liora's answer was surprising and unexpected to everyone in their group. She held up a leaping crystal.

"No, Liora, please. Don't do this." Surprisingly, it was Bronte who spoke up. Keefe knew he and Liora were the two oldest Council members, but still, the sudden display of emotion was out of character. He could feel Bronte's betrayal from where he was, which was a few feet from Bronte. No one besides Sophie ever gave off that much emotion, and the fact that it was coming from Bronte, of all people, told him just how dire the situation was. And Keefe understood it, too. If a member of the Council sides with the Neverseen, who's to say others won't follow? Who's to say they could stop the Neverseen if they had a big enough following?

We can't. Keefe's ever-negative brain told him. If they amass any sort of following from the public, there will be no stopping them. Then, the Neverseen would win.

Before Keefe's stubborn brain could elaborate on the possibly horrible future to come, Liora glittered away.

Taking Gisela, and Keefe's only chance for answers, with her.

Sorry this was kinda long. I just love the thought of a Councillor betrayal (is that normal? whatever), and it was hard to get everything that i wanted to say in there. Anyways, see ya!