35. Keefe's POV

Keefe couldn't stand seeing Sophie like this.

Breaking down in his arms, crying and crying and crying, crying so much Keefe couldn't understand how she couldn't stop.

When Sophie finally quieted, long after Biana and Fitz had opted to sleep in the guest bedroom to give them privacy, Keefe whispered, "Do you want to stay here? I can set you up on the bed."

Sophie gave a small nod. Keefe slowly stood up, letting Sophie lay her head on the beanbag he'd been sitting on. Though her crying had stopped, Keefe could still hear her sniffling.

Keefe started to set up the bed, smoothing sheets and fluffing pillows, when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned, and found Sophie now standing behind him.

"I'm going to sleep with my parents." She whispered, her voice hoarse. "I- could you do me a favor?"

"Anything." Keefe said without a second thought. And it was true. He'd do anything for her.

"Take Sandor and Ro. If- if you can, go to Hav- go and get Ella. Please. I need her."

"Of course." Keefe said, wiping a stray tear from Sophie's face. "Of course." He repeated.

He grabbed Sophie's hand and led her to the living room. He found adults, over 20, standing there. He spotted Alden, and asked, "Where are Grady and Edaline?"

Alden started to ask something, but Keefe merely said, "Later. Where are they?"

Alden directed them to a floor upstairs, and Keefe led Sophie to the stairwell.

"Sleep well. I'll see you tomorrow morning." Keefe pulled Sophie into a hug.

"I love you." She whispered into the crook of Keefe's shoulder.

"Love you too." He whispered back. "Now really. Get some rest."

Sophie started up the stairs, giving Keefe one last unbearably sad glance before disappearing up the stairwell.

Keefe made for the door, just to find Lord Cassius in his way.

"Out of the way." He said, not bothering with swagger or confidence. This was not the time, and Keefe wasn't in the mood.

"Keefe." Cassius said, but Keefe kept walking.

"I know where you're going. Be careful." Was all Cassius said before Keefe heard his steps recede. Not caring anymore, Keefe found Sandor by the door.

"Let's go." The goblin said. Sophie had transmitted the plan, then. Keefe walked out the door, headed for the gate so that he could light leap out of here.

Sandor was quiet. Considering what had happened, Keefe was quiet too.

Finally, Sandor broke the silence by asking, "If we can't find it?"

"Not an option."

"But if we can't?"

Keefe sighed. "Then you'll leave it to me."

Sandor loosed a breath. "No. I will not allow you to risk your life for a stuffed elephant."

"You know how important it is," Keefe said. "You'll let me figure it out."

"Not without me!" Said someone behind them, causing Sandor to draw his sword and Keefe to jump a foot ahead.

Keefe turned to find Ro smiling behind them. "Ro!" He practically shouted. "Don't scare us like that!"

"That's what you get for trying to leave without me!" Ro stuck out her tongue, rather childishly, and said, "I am your bodyguard; I need to protect you. That means, as Sandor says, 'I go where you go.'"