23. Keefe's POV

The reporters continued, but Keefe only caught glimpses, things like, "... be 5 or 6 of them," or "...company that owns them is huge. They're looking to be the first trillionaire company in history." Keefe only heard Sophie, who'd gone to Havenfield's porch and was hiding in the shadows. No one else saw, because they were too busy arguing to notice.

When Keefe reached her, Sophie was facing the wall with her knees curled up to her chest, crying.

"Hey," he said, not really sure what to say. He couldn't relate, and he usually dealt with these sorts of things by deflecting with humor. So, in the only way he knew how, Keefe comforted her.

"Foster, did I ever tell you about the time I almost died in the Forbidden Cities? No? Well, I was walking across the street, still adjusting to human laws, when a truck skidded to a stop right in front of me. Crazy, right? Apparently, I was in the wrong, so some guy who called himself 'police' took me to one of their stations, and put me in this cool jail cell with other kids my age. There were two girls and three guys with me. The girls, of course, loved me instantly, and were peppering me with questions, when I said, 'Do you guys want me to show you something?' They all nodded their heads in agreement, so, using the small window at the top of the cell, I lightleaped to Candleshade."

Sophie gasped quietly at that. Keefe continued, "Thankfully, my dad wasn't home, so I snuck in and grabbed my prank elixir stash. When I went back to the same city, I had to get back to the cell, so I walked into the road, and they arrested me again. They had no idea how I'd gotten out, and they didn't believe the other kids when they said that I used magic to escape, so they just put me back in with a few more guards. Then, I told each of the kids to drink an elixir, saying it was magic and stuff, and after seeing me light leap, they all agreed. Everyone drank one at the same time, and it was hilarious. Each of the girls got crazy hairdos, one had bright orange spiky hair; the other had poufy blue curls. The guys each got something different: one got super long pretty pink nails, one got a tail, and one got teal eyes and brown hair. That was the elixir I had in case I wanted to make my dad think he'd switched bodies with Alden, and it would have been awesome, except that one took a lot of trial and error, and I didn't write down the stuff I used. Anyways, all five kids were really mad, and since they were all in juvie, they jumped me. But before they could lay a finger on me, I lightleaped away to another city."

Sophie was laughing so hard she was rolling on the floor. "That. Is. So. Keefe! Did that really happen?"

"It's as real as the Great Gulon Incident." Keefe said, grinning. He'd made Sophie laugh! It'd been awhile since she'd done that.

"Are you ever going to tell me what that was?" Sophie said, picking herself off of the floor and trying to compose herself.

"I guess it will remain a mystery." Keefe said dramatically. He thought about telling her, about that night at Foxfire, when he'd...

Nope! Keefe thought to himself. What if Foster's trying to find out in my head right now?

Dang it! Sophie said mentally. How'd you catch me?

I just know you, Foster. And I know that you're willing to break the rules of Telepathy to find out something harmless like this.

Yeah, you got me. Don't worry, I didn't go digging in your memories for it, since I know you value your privacy like I do.

Thanks, Foster. And don't sweat it, I'm sure you'll find out what the Great Gulon Incident was eventually.

"Thanks, Keefe." Sophie said, switching to talking out loud. "I needed to laugh like that. Even though there's no way that actually happened."

"It did so happen!" Keefe said.

"Did not!"

"Did so!"

"Did not!"

"Did-" Keefe was cut off by Dex, who was out of breath.

"Hey guys, can you get their attention? No one can hear me over the shouting and arguing, and I didn't bring my pocket megaphone."

Sophie stood and wiped the last of the tears off of her face. "I got it, Dex."

Sophie walked to the center of the madness, levitated a few feet in the air, and shouted, "Everyone! Dex has something to say!"

It instantly quieted, and the field was left in an eerie silence.

"So, I just wanted to say, if anyone's curious, I know how Elysian spoke in our minds without a Telepathic ability." Dex announced, speaking up.

Keefe silently cursed himself. He hadn't even thought of that! But, with one look at Sophie, his thoughts quieted. He knew that she always came first.

"Well, how?!" Asked Fitz, slightly angry, probably aggravated at seeing Keefe comfort Sophie on the porch.

"Well, as I was saying before you interrupted me, I could feel a technological device when I got back from grabbing the T.V., but I thought someone had brought in an Imparter or something. When Elysian left, I felt the gadget leave too, so I figure that's what she was using to speak in our heads. How? I've got no idea, but if you could Enhance me, Sophie, I might be able to figure it out."

"Yeah, okay." Sophie walked over to Dex and took his hand. Sophie glanced at Keefe, who smiled and nodded. She might've been wondering if he was bothered by them holding hands, though he wasn't. The strong best friend vibes he'd felt from Dex when he and Sophie had announced themselves to their group were still holding strong.

Dex sucked in a breath when Sophie's fingers touched his, and he said quickly, "Notebook." Biana went upstairs and grabbed one, understanding what Dex needed. The other times that he's been Enhanced, he'd needed a notebook to write down all of his thoughts and ideas, which were almost never ending.

After writing down 5 whole pages of notes, Dex said, "I think I've got it, but I'll have to run some experiments. Sophie, I might need more Enhancing, so be ready when I call. Bye." He held up his home crystal and leaped away.

Keefe had noticed that Dex was always more direct and a little rude when he got Enhanced, but with all that nerdy stuff running around his brain, Keefe couldn't blame him.

Keefe decided to break the tension by asking, "Alright, while we wait for Dex, who wants to play Kiss, Marry, Kill?"

Im kinda tired cause its late so ill go straight to today's question: what's the longest book you've ever read? (if ur not sure, either list a few long books that you've read or take a guess) Im not exactly  sure of the longest book ive read, but I've read the whole Harry Potter series, which those books are long; most of the Keeper books are long too (I think Flashback is the longest); but thats all i can think of right now.

Imma go stay up all night looking at Book Toks! Bye!