Our cause

When your dreams all fail
And the ones we hail are the worst of all
And the blood's run stale
I wanna hide the truth,
I wanna shelter you

Demons by Imagine Dragons

(soft) TW -> mention of death, vomiting, hinted child abuse
Sorry I didn't put warnings in any other chapter, I'll fix it later. Hope it didn't cause too much trouble.

"Are you out of your fucking mind?!" I slam the door open, not bothering to knock. Yaga slowly turns around from where he was sitting at his desk, pretending I didn't scare him. The way his shoulders tense and his mouth hangs open tells me otherwise. Two long strolls are enough to cover the distance to his desk, I don't let his patronizing stare hold me back, the same anger that brought me out of my dorm room is still fueling my every movement. "He won't work for you again," I slam my fist on the wood, some pens jump. "Ever."

He sighs, looking tired and absolutely fed up with teenagers – especially me, probably. I'm not here to throw a banter, though, and I want to make sure he understands it, so I keep my sunglasses on my head and stare right back at him. "I don't care if the rest of you are too stuck up your asses to kill curses in his place. He just lost his mother." The words drag themselves through my teeth, bringing with them spit and just one tenth of my anger. One accusing finger points right to his nose, making him blink in surprise, boosting my confidence. "You're nothing but a bunch of incompetent assholes, keeping yourselves busy with fucking bureaucracy and pretending to be in charge of everything, but let me tell you- "

"I couldn't convince them, Gojo." He cuts me off, gesturing for me to take a seat. His voice is even, despite the fact that I'm screaming in his face and being disrespectful towards my teacher.

Suddenly, I find myself at a loss of words. I can't find it in myself to insult him anymore, it seems he has nothing to do with the decision, but I'm still not accepting the seat in front of him. "Who did it?"

"The council itself." The weight of his words crashes down on my head, my vision blurs and ears start ringing. Does this mean my grandfather had a role in this shitshow? The world spins around me for a few seconds and, suddenly, that chair doesn't look so bad. "The five clans, yours included, deemed it... outrageous to have a special grade sit back and not contribute to the cause."

"The cause?" I spit the word as if it burned my tongue, "what cause?" The same anger I felt leaving my room is rushing back to my temples, making them pulse and boil under my skin. I fist my hands, nails dragging across palms to ease the urge to thrash this stupid place to the ground. "There is no fucking cause, they're just slaughtering sorcerers!" My voice comes out louder than intended, Yaga instinctively reaches for his phone.

I straighten up, taking a deep breath and trying to recollect myself. The last thing I need is for him to call some half-assed reinforcement to handle me. I pace the room until I can bring my voice to a more normal volume, then turn back to him. "Someday someone will drag them off their high chairs by their hair." Yaga stays silent, eyeing me up and making me feel uncomfortable. I'm well aware that my words could – should – have serious consequences, but I also know that I can trust my teacher to keep this between us.

"You're scared Geto will end up dead." It's not a question, but his voice – careful, pondered, each word wisely chosen - still makes me feel vulnerable. "I will not let that happen, kid."

When I clench my fists again, I know I'm ready to get out of here to go back where I actually want to be right now. Before leaving, though, I take one last moment on the doorstep, a wild thought suddenly taking a clear form before my eyes. "You know, someday I might actually do it." I turn around, giving him a playful smile but meaning every single word. "Drag those old farts out of their almighty seats, I mean."