Chapter 4 THE TRAIN STATION

DRACO MALFOY sat on the train. He often looked forward to the moment the train pulled into his station, and he could take a long gasp of fresh air. It was such an awful way to end his day, to be stuck in a stuffy tube. Wednesdays were the day he spent with his parents, and so the day welcomed yet another reason to shudder at the thought. Across from him, sat a lady with her hair brushed into a bun at the top of her head, she flicked through a bundle of papers and was busy highlighting.

The familiar chime of the train sounded before the familiar announcement "Please be sure not to leave any belongings on the train".

He watched her for a moment as she was seemingly caught up in her own world, when she had to pack up quickly and jump out at the next stop. Through the graffiti covered windows, he watched her disappear and the train continue to take him to his destination. He hadn't given the girl another thought until he saw her again.

On the same train on a Wednesday. This time she was skimming over a page and doodling little comments of the side. The same station, she hurried to jump up and leave the train. It was on this occasion; he noticed a notebook left on the seat. Standing up he picked it up to find a diary. As expected, her handwriting was small and neat.

Appointment 10am; check proposal – appendix A and budget line.
Meeting 11.30am: stakeholders – Norway. Ask about wife Linda
Doctor appointment 3pm – collect blood test results

On the last page, he noticed little sketches. He was surprised to see how good she was at drawing, considering how serious she always seemed to appear. He wanted to skim the pages more when his own stop approached, and he slipped the book into his briefcase.

After an evening filled by his parents attempting to pair him up with all their friend's daughter and his mother's overcooked roast beef, he was relieved to retreat to his own apartment, it wasn't until he slipped his laptop out of its case; did the diary slip onto his linoleum floor.

He flicked to the last page, and almost dropped the book. Their doodled in blue ink – was a sketch of himself. He started at it longer and couldn't help but smile. She had noticed him too. Picking up his own pen and post-it note. He wrote a small note.

I would very much like to get coffee with you, my number is 283704053

He stuck the post-it on again and slipped the book into his bag ready to meet the mystery artist on the train again. The next day, he skipped his morning jog and hopped on the train to get to the office. Stepping off at Kings Cross station, he looked up and noticed the mystery girl. Fate was teasing him. With little nerves to hold him back he approached the girl and held the book in his hand "Excuse me miss; I do believe this is yours?" he asked. She paused and stared at the book in his hand.

Her lips parted in shock.  "I have been searching everywhere for it, thank you! But where did you find it?" she asked looking at him. Nerves filled her body as she prayed that he had not opened it.
"You dropped it on the train. I see you often enough to remember your face" Draco handed her the book, and watched relief fill her eyes. "Have a good day" he tilted his head and continued his way. Happy to not be dreading the day ahead.

That evening his phone chimed and an unsaved number appeared with a message. "Thank you for delivering the notebook. I am mortified that you saw this page! I owe you a coffee for sure" He smiled. He did not believe in fate, but something about this moment felt as if he had found home.

Medera smiled again as she watched the familiar scene play out. The pair fumbling over coffee, sipping hot drinks behind blushing cheeks. Going on little dates between their busy schedules, and meeting the parents, navigating awkward questions. "What can I say Minister?" as they returned to his office he sighed in defeat.

"I just feel as if we need a better plan. I promised the children that they would be able to have a normal year to complete their studies. We cannot justify meddling in this way." Kingsley added sitting on his seat.

"I cannot predict the future. But my studies do show that ripples like this are easily mended. The solution could not be clearer. Hermione and Draco need to unite. My personal hypothesis is that their opposite positions of our society will signal to the world that love conquers all, and there will not be a need for war. The sooner the better too. You said yourself that the prisoners are getting more riled up as we wait" Kingsley could see her point. He still hated it all.

"How do we make this happen?" he asked.

"Leave it to me. I will give you a full report by weeks end" with that she apparated away. The Ministry of Magic could swear that he had grown more grey hairs in the last days that they had spent travelling across times. He could not doubt what he had seen in his own eyes. Every bloody time, they seemed to fall in love, every time, except this one.