Chapter 14 HEADMISTRESSES OFFICE

DRACO MALFOY, yawned as he left the empty office. Returning to his real life he felt released that Voldemort hadn't won. He could picture purebloods wanting to return to their old ways and enforce ridged rules – the ones that made everyone miserable. Throughout, even though that version of Hermione Granger was not as outspoken or rebellious as the one he knew now; she was the same. Spending so much time in that timeline had showed him that they had far more in common than he thought.

In his childhood, he was the one who had to do things for the good of their family. To bite his lip and recite lines. To always be looking over your shoulder and not to trust anyone. That was him. Even now, he had countless letters from his mother with warnings of violence. That was him now. Interestingly, he could also see himself in that version of Draco Malfoy. That was the son they aspired for him to be. To command attention and excellence. He had heard the bells, the familiar sound that transcended all timelines and tied them together. Even now, he felt as if it was not too predictable to expect that Hermione Granger and Draco Malfoy would simply, fall in love.

He didn't want to speak to anyone and so found himself wondering up towards the prefect's office and dreaming of the bottle of Fire Whiskey he had hidden behind the book about Quidditch on the bookshelf. The familiar burn welcomed his body as he sat down and stared at the fire. He didn't want to think of anything. But the infuriating drumming beat circled his mind, playing over and over and over again. Images of Hermione clouded his mind, that he couldn't decipher if they were memories or his mind going crazy.
Hermione had left her desk astray with papers and books. She had an air of ridiculous fuzzy slippers, that reminded him of sick cats, and a blanket that was folded over the chair. The song at the Yule Ball threw him. It was always playing at critical moments in a time line's story – but the fact that neither said more than two words to each other the whole night felt strange. Draco took a last swing of his drink before tucking it back into its spot. Pulling out his quill and paper he began his own homework. With his assignments completed he slumped back into the lounge chair and closed his eyes. There didn't seem to be a reason to make the long hike back to the Slytherin common room.

It wasn't until morning, when he had found a blanket over his shoulders and the sound of scribbling. He noticed Hermione slumped over the desk in deep concentration. "Oh, good morning" he started. She looked up in shock, half surprised that he had been there at all.
"Good morning. I hope I did not wake you!" she smiled.

"No, you didn't. What's the time?" he asked. Their conversation was very cordial. And it felt foreign. None the less he felt as if he must say something.

"Just passed eight. We don't have class until ten." She added. He nodded again and stretched out. "Malfoy, do you think we could talk?" she asked. Draco nodded and watched her, in her fuzzy slippers walk to the other seat. She sucked a deep breath in and looked at her hands.

"Did you enjoy the ball?" Draco asked. She smiled and nodded.
"I was beautiful. But you left so suddenly, were you alright?" she asked.

"That song. You recognised it too, no?" he leaned forward.

"Yes, I did. I had not expected it" Draco nodded in response. "Did we want to talk about all of this?" Draco watched her rambles.

"What is there to talk about. The fact that you and I may be soulmates and are now required to save the wizarding world from yet another war?" he asked. Hermione nodded and turned back to her book. "Don't feel obligated to think anymore of me. Not after all I have done" the blanket he borrowed was tossed at her feet, and he left the room without another word.

He had apologised so that they might be able to work together professionally, he had never obligated himself to do anything further.