Chapter 22 DARK WOODS

Draco took a deep breath and took a step. Before he knew it, he stood in front of Hermione Granger. Shielding her from their evil.
"Draco what are you doing" she hissed quickly.

"I am not losing you again" he whispered back before turning his face to Barty Crouch Jr. Barty wore his leather jacket that carried a pungent smell. His skin pale from living in housing and his eyes a glossy grey. His thin little face and messy brown hair almost didn't fit the confidence in the man's voice. Hermione decided it was best to keep her lips sealed.
"Draco Malfoy has grown up into a fool. Protecting that mudblood" the word sent an shiver of disgust down his spine. Draco hated him for saying that word, he hated him for saying it in front of Hermione. He wished he could hex his mouth for letting the words out at all.
The familiar calculated expression adorned his face. Moments like this were what he was trained for, familiar with. He approached the group, his steps affirmative and strong. "You dare you disgrace me with your presence in my own home. Do you forget who the Malfoy's are?" Draco asked. Hermione watched as he rolled his shoulders back, and levelled his face.
Barty took a step back and looked sheepish. "Do you forget that you indeed owe us a debt, that you have not paid. Instead of asking for repayment, we have shown you mercy. Allow me to ask again. Do you forget who the Malfoy's are?" Draco asked again stepping forward. Hermione tried not to smile at that. Her hand was itching for her wand, ready to strike. It was an elegant way of dissolving the situation, she also knew her body couldn't handle more attacks.
"No sir. It won't happen again" Barty added quickly. Hermione was shocked by the whole interaction. The group walked away. They looked like wet cats without a tail,
"Oh, and you are not welcome here again. Do not let me see any of you here again," he added, stepping back to offer his arm to Hermione, she took it carefully and followed

him towards the house. Hermione forgot how much she hated this house; it had haunted so many of her dreams.
The walls were dark, and the candlelight gave an aery energy. The paintings on the wall were littered with blond haired people, glaring at her in disparagement. Everything about the house yelled at Hermione Granger that she was not welcomed here. One painting looked at her with sadness and pity, she wasn't sure which she preferred more. Holding onto Draco's arm gave her strength to push her mind to happier places. She felt excused by the whole ordeal.
"You should get back to school" he said as they entered the home, she looked pale and sick. And after everything she should still be resting.
"You should come back with me" she added straight. She had so many questions to ask about what had just transpired.
"I agree with Ms Granger, you ought to go back to school D" Mrs Malfoy appeared at the doorway. Hermione nodded in greeting. It was a formal goodbye, with Mrs Malfoy telling her son to be careful, to were to her and to do well in his studies. There was no hugging or emotional tears as she had seen all too many times with her parents or the Weasleys.
The easiest way was to flo to Hogsmead and walk back to the castle, Hermione had been tentative to ventreu further into the Malfoy manor, or to let go of Draco's hand. But with a soft breath she did, and cleared her throat before uttering the words of the pub. "You and your stupid Gryffindor pride, to come to a Death eaters hotspot, then to gang up on me with my own mother." He mumbled before walking in the direction of the castle. The air felt easier to breath the more steps they took away.
"Why were you even there, I was worried sick. How are we supposed to stop this war if you are out there, with them?" she rebutted.
"Hermione, they would not hurt me. I went to gather intel to find out when they were planning on doing something stupid" He stopped to stare at him. "You could have gotten yourself killed!"
"You didn't tell me you were going" her words ate up the silence that now surrounded them. They were both now not walking anymore.
"You said you couldn't hurt me again?" she asked him finally. It was his turn to blush and look away first. Before he could take another step away she spoke again. "What did you mean by that?" she asked quickly.
"I hate what I have done to you in this lifetime and the next. I have watched you die, I have watched you get tortured, I have watched you live miserable existences. I will not allow that pattern to persist. You deserve better, and you bloody well deserve more"

the words leaped out of his mouth before he could hold back. "Shit" he swore, running his hands over his face tiered.
"You are kinder than you let on, and I have not always been miserable. I have lived the fantasies that I could have only dreamed of in the depths of a book. You have shown me the sun and the stars, and that is what I deserve, what we both deserve" Hermione's heart was thudding hard in her rib cage, praying to break free.