Chapter 23 GREAT HALL

HERMIONE took Draco's hand in her own and gave it a small squeeze. "After you" she whispered as they started at the doors of the great hall. Hermione had not remembered them to be this big. The doors opened before they were ready, and with their first step – the hall was brought into a silent hush. All eyes on the pair as they walked further into the room. Hermione wanted to have her head held up high. Walking past the rows of her classmates, she followed Draco to his seat before sliding in awkwardly. "Hope it's alright that I join you today?" she asked Theodore Knott who sat next to her. Draco sent him a warning look.

"Of course. Make yourself at home Granger" he added in an awkward tone. Hermione tried her best to ignore the awkward stares and tucked into the food in front of her.

"So, umm Granger... your friends are staring holes into my head. Make them stop" Zamboni's theatrics brought a soft laugh from the girl who was otherwise very uncomfortable.

"Do ignore Ronald" she smiled softly. She didn't need to turn around to know whom they were speaking of. Instead, she looked over and noted how Draco's plate was still empty "Do not tell me you're a vampire, that would be a deal breaker Malfoy" she commented in this ear. It was the first time anyone had seen his pale cheeks flush slightly. He didn't comment, instead loaded his plate with food.

Before pouring the pumpkin juice, he reached over and filled Hermione's glass as well. Their whole interaction appeared too domestic, it appeared as if they had been married for years and now didn't even need to talk. The table descended into silence with no one knowing what to say. It was nice to eat proper food again, she thought wondering what Draco had been eating while at home. Thankfully both their casual attire did not stick out in the dinning hall, with many students in casual wear on the weekend.

"Thank you kindly for letting me disrupt your meal. I need to go to the library, good evening." She smiled before sliding off the bench. Draco nodded and joined her, wanting to check in if their diner had been manageable for her. Zamboni saluted his friend in mock gesture as the pair walked out of the hall again.

"Hermione, wait!" Harry's voice yelled behind them. Hermione stopped and turned. "We need to talk about this. You were in a critical condition, then you leave the castle, then you show up with a thought-to-be missing Draco Malfoy." Draco held his words and watched Hermione approach her friends. His hands slipped into the comfort of his pockets as he watched the interaction.

"I am sorry for worrying you, I feel so much better now, really" her answer did not give any repones to his original questions.

"Hermione, what Harry means to say is that we don't understand the extended kindness you are expressing to Malfoy" Ginny translated staring at Draco's awkward figure. Malfoy took a large step towards Hermione and squeezed her shoulder before whispering something Harry, Ginny and Ron couldn't hear. She mumbled something back before nodding. The Gryffindor four watched him leave without another word.

"Your concerned over my health? Or my relations with Draco Malfoy?" She asked more specifically. They were concerned friends and granted – did not have access to the same information she now possessed. "I am feeling completely better. And I am currently in a relationship with Draco" she clarified.
"Yeah, no Hermione, because that literally makes no sense. Whatsoever" Ron pipped in; arms crossed. She agreed it didn't make any sense.

"Please just trust me, Ron. I know what I am doing." Hermione knew that she was not allowed to discuss the Ministry's plans with them. Now that she was having real and genuine feelings for Draco, it became even more difficult to explain. She had never asked her friends for anything, and so she hoped that they could support her – even if they couldn't support Draco.

"Hermione, think of all that they did to you. To my family? And now you are just going to forgive them?" Ron stated. The hallways had begun to fill up and with Ginny's word of wisdom to take it outside the group of friends bustled to one of the smaller court yards.

Hermione was the first to speak, "I'm tired of this, this...bullshit. I have been fighting my whole goddammed life." She paused to take a deep breath "I am tiered. I want to decide about whatever it is that I want to do. I want to fall in love with whomever I chose. I don't need any of you to understand it. But after all these years I just want to stop fighting for everything. I am done with this" she held her hands up in defeat, taking steps back. Her eyes were filled with tears and her head shaking. This was a side of their friend they had never seen before. She looked fully defeated.
Harry stepped forward to give her a hug. "I trust you Mione. I love you and am glad you are safe. But please talk to us, we have been missing you. If Malfoy does anything, he will have to deal with the entire wizarding world" he squeezed her tighter before letting go for a moment. Ginny was the next to offer her support. Ron just nodded before turning and walking away.

"I am exhausted." She whispered as she closed the door behind her. The first thing she did was kick of her shoes and approach the bookshelf. With a quick glance, she pulled out the Quidditch book and pulled out a flask of fire whiskey with a grin.

"That's mine" Draco stated, half shocked that she had found his hiding spot. Hermione was radiant as she approached the spot that Draco was seated, he held out his hand and took her own to pull her closer, until she was standing in front of him. With a quick movement he took her hips and placed her to sit on his lap. Hermione cracked open the lid and took a quick sip before passing it to him.

"I think everyone is really shocked today" she added, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"Hermione Granger is one to shock, if anyone I ever did see" he added, his thumb tracking the dip of her hip. He felt her scoff as he placed the bottle to the side. "You are alright, aren't you?" he asked. She smiled and nodded; he picked up that the smile didn't reach her eyes.