[06] repent

6. Repent

"I am terrified by this dark thing that sleeps in me

"I am terrified by this dark thing that sleeps in me."

"ANY LUCK?" Dani asked Rick, worriedly.

"Not yet." He shook his head as they hurried over to Sasha with Tyreese in tow.

Startling the woman, Tyreese quickly calmed her as Rick shone his light into the thick woods before them.

"He's getting away." She said, helplessly.

"Who?"

"Somebody was watching us."

Dani pointed her gun forward and squinted through the dark. "Which way?"

"If we go in there now, some of us aren't coming back." Tyreese explained.

"Bob is out there somewhere." She reminded him. "And Lucia." Dani bit the skin on her lip, the coppery taste of blood filling her mouth. It was a nervous habit that she tried to quit years ago. Clearly, she couldn't drop it.

Sasha's grip on her gun tightened. "They're scared, alone."

"Maybe not alone." Rick muttered, never dropping his gun to his side. "Daryl and Carol are missing, too."

"I can't just sit and wait." Dani said, marching back to the church. The oak wooden doors slammed against the walls as she shoved through them, her path leading straight to the priest. "You."

The man in question watched her warily, his eyes wide.

"What did you do?" She asked him, yanking him by his collar. She was by no means taller than him but her firm grip kept him hunched over and in place.

"What?" His voice shook.

"This is all connected." Sasha spat from behind her.

"You show up here, crying for help and a few hours later four of our friends are missing? You don't think that sounds suspicious?" Dani's voice gradually grew louder with her rising frustration.

"I don't... I don't have anything to do with this." He stammered. Letting go of him with a shove, she headed over to her pack and slung it over her shoulder. At the same time, Sasha unsheathed her knife.

The group darted forward, trying to stop her as the man cowered back. "Let her." Dani spoke, not bothering to watch, as she grabbed her things.