CHAPTER 3

I barely remember what happened yesterday. All I know is that I woke up, got prepped for surgery and went under around 3pm. The drugs were so strong, I think I slept for 12 hours after my surgery. My thoughts are still a bit hazy even though I have showered and eaten. Well, my nurse is the one who assisted me with all those things. I can’t even stand on my own and I can still feel the effects of the drugs but they are slowly starting to wear off. The nurse said Nqobile came to see me yesterday after surgery and she actually cried at how unresponsive I was. She thought I was dying. She said I was just starring at her not moving my eyes, not saying anything. I swear to God, I don’t remember that encounter. Is that what if feels like to have a black out? I wouldn’t know because I don’t drink alcohol, ever.

It's already afternoon but I am still a bit tired. My mind is also still hazy. My nurse brings me some fruits. Luckily, she put all my food in a fridge just so it wouldn’t get spoiled. I thank her and she walks out. Few minutes later, Nqobile and Lineo walk in carrying shopping bags. I have enough food here. There is even a café downstairs where you can order any type of food you want. I think opening a vegan café in a hospital environment will be very beneficial. There is nothing doctors want more than for their patients to eat healthily and everyone knows hospital food sucks.

“It would be really cool to open a small branch of Healthy Eats here.” I start off but they just come in and hug me. Nqobile even sniffs. I thought Lineo was the emotional one. “Guys come on. It was just morphine. Nothing too deep.”

Nqobile looks up to stop the tears and sighs. “You should have seen yourself. I thought you were dying. I even demanded to see Doctor Mniki and he just told me that you were still drugged. I was a bit relieved after that but I still thought they had done something malicious to you. I am just glad to see you up and okay.” She squeezes my hand.

I met Nqobile two years after I had established Healthy Eats. She was just a young girl fresh out of college with a hospitality certificate. I bumped into her at some restaurant. She had come for an interview but it didn’t go well judging by her reaction. She just sat opposite me, looking like she carried the weight of the world on her shoulders. She didn’t even notice that I was there until a waiter brought me my food.

She jumped up, wishing the ground could swallow her but I told her to chill and we shared a meal. She told me all about her life. A 20 year old young mind who had so much ambition but sadly most restaurants required experience, not carrying about the practicals you did at culinary school, which should count. I told her about my company and she immediately asked if she could volunteer. It was just picking up from the ground and sometimes the work could be overwhelming. I pitied her, so I told her she could come and work with me at my food truck. I would only be able to pay her 2000 a month. She was more than grateful for that. Two months later, her presence in my company brought in a lot of clientele. She also introduced new dishes and I increased her salary. I see her as my little sister, not an employee, which is why I have opened up to her about my past and my life as a whole.

“We are just glad that you are okay now.” Lineo brushes off Nqobile’s emotions and I chuckle. “How is your ankle feeling?” It’s covered in a heavy cast and elevated by a big pillow.

“Numb. I can’t feel a thing. If you were to poke it right now, I wouldn’t feel any pain.” I respond honestly and they nod. I don’t wanna dwell much on my misery. What’s done is done. All I wanna do is move on as quickly as possible. Healthy Eats is a priority and we should prepare ourselves for when the investors finally get back to us. “How’s business going?” We catch up and they update me on the sales and everything else. Visiting hours come to an end and they bid farewell, promising to visit me the day before the next so that they would give Mitchy and Pamela a chance to also visit.

×××

My doctor comes in the following day to give me an update. He does a full check up before stating that I will be discharged in two days. He asks a few questions before leaving me to my boredom. I get a visit from an unexpected guest which shocks me. Athandwa Pina, one of the potential investors, walks in with a bouquet and a food lovers market paper bag. She places the things in the small table besides my bed and sits down.

“I called your truck just to order a meal for my daughter but I heard you were admitted. What happened?” I explain my situation and she gasps. “You still soldiered on with your presentation as if you were not dying of pain? Wow. Such a courageous young woman. Why didn’t you say anything?”

“An opportunity like that is very hard to come by. A lot of young business owners wish to have a platform where they can present their amazing business ideas and secure funding to better their businesses. I wasn’t going to reschedule because you moved a lot of things on your plans just to listen to me whine about my dreams. Showing up was the least I could do.”

She smiles and nods. “I admire you. As a business woman and a person in general. You are going places with this company of yours and I am so glad that I will be around to witness you prosper.”

My mood immediately lights up. “Does that mean you guys will be investing in Healthy Eats?”

She chuckles. “You will just have to wait and see, Miss Mabuyakhulu.”