CHAPTER 12

You can never really anticipate what people are going to say about your product, art or craft. Presenting it to the world is always a gamble. You are opening yourself up for criticism, either critical or straight up rude. The world is filled with people who have different thoughts. People who have a different approach in life. People who put words in a different manner.

We have people who are omnivores and those are  people who eat all types of food, just like me. Then we have carnivores and those are people who predominantly eat red meat, which includes pork, beef, veal, and lamb. Those are savages but I like them because they are not picky. They just want their steak juicy and properly done. Then there are pollotarians, and those are people who primarily eat poultry instead of red meat. Wild. The we have pescetarians and those people who eat fish and seafood but not meat from other animals. Most people from the west are like that.

Then we have my type of customers. Well 50 percent of them at least. The vegetarians, those who avoid meat altogether but still consume plant-based foods, dairy, and eggs. So there are different subcategories of vegetarians based on specific dietary choices. We got vegans who take it a step further by excluding all animal products, including dairy and eggs. Their diet consists solely of plant-based foods.

Somehow my company caters for all types of eaters. Those different types of eaters gathered for the Prelaunch and the actual launch of Healthy Eats. They tried different types of foods that we provide and all of them left the restaurant satisfied. I’m pretty sure 90% of them kept in saying they are definitely going to come back. Many of them posted content on TikTok, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. This positive feedback attracted radio stations, magazines and newspapers. Baywatch published an article about me yesterday. The local radio stations invited me for interviews and I pulled up, marketed my new baby the best way I could. I also got invited to for an interview on Ukhozi Fm. I am going there in three weeks. It’s been a week since Healthy Eats opened and everyday we are facing full capacity. If things continue that way, we will have to open the Empangeni branch in less than 2 months.

To celebrate the success, Mbulelo planned a mini getaway to St Lucia. He is coming to fetch me here at the restaurant because there is no time to rest. I have to be here every day from the time we open till we close. But at least my team is capable, so I don’t have to be at the kitchen all the time, unless it’s really busy. One of the waitresses come to notify me that Mbulelo is here. I thank them before they leave. I finish sending out a couple of emails and sorting out the wages. Then I head to the kitchen.

“Nqo.” I call out and she turns to look at me. “I’m leaving. I have placed the keys in your bag. When you’re done with that order, please make sure you go and lock the office.”

“Sure boss. Go and release some of that tension. You deserve it.” She shakes her ass a bit and I just chuckle while the others laugh. Every kitchen deserves a Nqobile shame. I bid farewell to them and the front of house staff before heading to Mbulelo who is standing at the entrance with a box.

“Hey beautiful.” He hands me the box and I frown. “I had to bring something for you from Durban. And this is it. Hope you like it.” I inspect the box and I smile when I see that it’s a cake from Chateau Gateaux.
“Thanks. I will eat it tomorrow when I come back.” I hand it to the hostess. “Please put this in the staff fridge.” She nods before walking away.

“You ready to leave?” Mbulelo asks and I nod. He takes my hand and we walk out of the mall. “Let me fetch your bag in your car.” I hand him my car keys and he hands me his. “Go wait for me.” He walks to my car and I walk to his. Just as I am nearing it, I see someone leaning on the car speaking to another person on a call. Just for control, I press on the key and the car beeps. The woman jumps off and looks at me.

“Who are you? Where is the car owner?” she asks. Hebana. I have never witnessed drama being caused by another female because of a guy but I think I’m about to.
“He is coming. Did you need anything from him?” I ask as I step closer.
“Who are you? Why do you have his car keys? You are his new floozy? Mbulelo shouldn’t test me. I swear to God I’m going to kill someone today.” Okay.

“I don’t know what is going on between you two but please don’t involve me. How about we just wait for him?” at that exact moment, he comes towards us and he frowns when he sees the lady friend.

“Babe, get in the car.” He says to me and then puts my bag in the back seat. He opens the passenger door for me but I just stare at him. “Hlengiwe, I know you are an independent woman who doesn’t like being told what to do, but can you please do as I say?”

“Babe? Habe Mbulelo. Are you testing me?” the lady asks and the steps closer to us. “How is she your ‘babe’ when I was your ‘sthandwa’ not so long ago? You can’t just ghost me and then move on with some cheesy woman. Don’t do me like that, or you will see my true colours.”

Somehow I wanna see the end game here. Mbulelo looks at me and I stare right back at him. He wants me to be his full time girlfriend, then I need to see how he handles such situations. He gives me a pleading look. “Get in the car. We will talk along the way.”
“I don’t want to.” I respond and he huffs before pulling me to the passenger door. That seems to anger his lady friend because she comes closer and somehow manages to slap me on the face. She pulls my hair and that makes Mbulelo let go of me and turn to her.

“Nomfundo, why the fuck did you do that? Are you insane?” he drags the girl away and I am left standing there shell shocked I just got slapped for absolutely no reason. Why did she attack me? What did I do? Who is she to Mbulelo? Are they dating and is he taking me for a fool? Wow. What the fuck was I thinking going for a young guy? These men are hardly single nowadays. You know what? Fuck him. I close the passenger door and go climb the driver’s seat. I am leaving and I am going with his car. Fuck him.

I drive with no direction whatsoever but I find myself in Eshowe after an hour of driving. I park the car outside the shopping Centre and just sit there, reliving the situation I have witnessed. Does this mean Mbulelo has a girlfriend? That he ghosted because of me? So he has a tendency for ghosting women because he also did that with me while I was at the hospital. Do I really want to be in a relationship with someone like that? Am I okay to judge him without hearing his side of the story first? So help me God.
.
.
.
I’m so sorry for disappearing on y’all. Your author works 10 hours a day and is only at home for maybe 2 or 3 hours a day. So I use that time to rest. My sincerest apologies but I haven’t forgotten y’all love you.