CHAPTER 6

“Can we talk?” Mbulelo asks after a few minutes, and I sigh. There is no dodging this conversation, so we better have it now rather than suffer through awkward moments. I stand up and quickly take my crutches. I limp outside to the loungers, and he follows me. We sit opposite each other, and he takes a deep breath. “I owe you an explanation.” He starts off and I shake my head.
“No, you don’t, Mbulelo. You rescued me in a time of need, and I am super grateful for that. I know I can never repay you for a favour like that, so thank you very much.”

He chuckles and shakes his head. “You know that’s not what is happening here, Hlengiwe. Let’s not pretend otherwise. I was giving you a chance to go through that period in your life without coming off strong. I know how vulnerable people can be after injuries and they can mistake fake affection for real affection. I like you, Hlengiwe. I have liked you since the first moment I saw you, kneeling on that road looking like a fallen angel. Even at your worst hour, you looked like the most beautiful woman on earth and that’s one of the things that attracted me to you. I don’t know much about you to list all the qualities I might like about you, but I would like a chance to get to know you better.”

“If you really like me as much as you claim, why did you disappear?”
He turns to look at the lake before us. “I wanted to give you space. I am not the type to run away when the going gets tough, but I really thought you needed the space. Your life changed overnight. Suddenly you couldn’t be able to perform simple tasks just like walking to the nearest tuckshop. I didn’t want to add my courtship in the mix because I am pretty sure you would have told me to jump off the nearest bridge or cliff.”

I chuckle inwardly. In a way, I understand his logic. I think I accepted Nqobile’s help because she is like a little sister to me, and I knew that my situation didn’t burden her. She chose to stand by me and take care of me at my lowest. I know I would have swore off Mbulelo at some point because I sometimes screamed at the house when I was alone and couldn’t even reach cereal that stays above the fridge or bend to cut my toenails.

“If you hadn’t seen me now, when were you going to tell me all this?”
He smiles. “I already know the address of your container, so I would have went there tomorrow and asked for your personal address. I know the ladies are fond of me, they would have given me it.” I roll my eyes. This 2k is full of himself. This much confidence is not healthy.  “So, what are you guys celebrating? Or it's just a normal company outing?”

“We got the funding from that presentation. So, we decided to take some time off and celebrate. The real work starts tomorrow where we will talk way forward about the restaurant.”
His eyes pop out and he hugs me. “Wow. Congratulations. I am so happy for you. I am ecstatic that even that terrible day brought such good news. I guess your pitch was too good. I am proud of you.” His words warm my heart. He is the first person outside my team to congratulate me and somehow his words secure a special place in my heart.

“Thank you. I can’t believe that my hard work is finally going to pay off. I never doubted myself for a second, but I never knew things could happen this fast. I am still overwhelmed right now. If I wasn’t on some medication, I would drink just to celebrate.”
He grins. “I will drink on your behalf, my lady.”
“Don’t embarrass yourself at that moment. My team doesn’t forget.” He laughs. We head back inside just in time for the waiters to bring the guys’ food.

“The rib sauce here, my God. I just want to crawl into the kitchen and steal the recipe.” Pamela moans as she bites into the ribs, and we laugh. She is a foodie.
“They make great food here. You never complain about their prices because they are worth it.” Siyabonga responds.

“So, what do you guys do?” I ask.
“I am an Engineer, Siyabonga is a welder and Smiso is a speaker of the mayor.” Ntokozo replies and my eyes pop out.
“Speaker? For real?” the guys laugh.
“He is kidding. Smiso is a detective.” Mbulelo chirps in and I roll my eyes. I really thought he was the speaker.

We chill with the guys. Food and drinks keep flowing. The conversations are also flowing. It’s just good vibes. Nqobile is glued to Phelelani, and he doesn’t seem to mind. They really look cute together. You never know with Nqo, but I hope this one lasts. She deserves someone who will love her unconditionally and treat her like a princess. Phelelani looks like someone who is capable of doing that.

“I am tired, guys. So, I think it’s time for me to bounce.” I announce and Nqobile immediately sobers up. This girl is my protector.
“Okay. We can leave. Baby, I will see you soon.” She kisses Phelelani goodbye, and I chuckle.
“You don’t have to do that, Nqo. I will call a cab.”
“But you came here with your car.” She complains and I shake my head.

“This is your night off. Enjoy with your man. I will see you tomorrow.” She pouts but I hold my hand up to stop further arguments.
“I can take you home. I knew you would need a designated driver, that’s why I wasn’t drinking.” Mbulelo offers and I smile at him. I am grateful for his offer.

“You could have said you wanted a man, dade.” Nqo teases and I laugh. This crazy girl.

I bid farewell to everyone, and we walk to the parking lot. He leads me to a different car this time around. A matte black Mercedes Benz. It’s really exquisite but I won’t say anything. Don’t wanna inflate his ego. He opens the door for me and waits until I am seated and secured before rounding up to slide into his seat. He starts the ignition and drives off.

“Is there something you would like to buy for dinner seeing that your private chef will be coming home tomorrow?” he asks.
“I want buffalo wings.” He nods and drives to the Meerensee centre. He leaves me in the car and comes back thirty minutes later with a paper bag.

“Are you tired? We can start at my place, and you can elevate your leg there before I drive you home. I am sure it must be killing you right now.” He is right actually. Putting it down for almost the whole day was torture.
“Fine, but don’t get any ideas.”
He laughs. “I am sure my father would murder me if he found out I was trying to take advantage of an injured beautiful lady.” I snort.

We drive for a few minutes before he enters a really nice-looking single storey house. He parks in the garage and walks me to the lounge where he makes me lie on the couch and stretch my legs. He walks off and comes back with pillows. He places one under my leg and the other behind me to support my head and back. He disappears again and comes back with chopped fruits and two glasses, one with water and one with juice.

“For your meds.” He sits on the couch opposite me and opens Prime. “What would you like to watch?” This type of treatment right here. God, take me now.