CHAPTER 9

Setting up everything for our grand opening of Healthy Eats restaurant has been a lot. We had a meeting with the management of Boardwalk Izinkwazi Mall, and they were able to give us space that is suitable for our line of work. We made sure to pay rent for twenty-four months and although it was pricey, it was a clever move because we don’t have to worry about rent for the first two years where we will be getting the restaurant off the ground.

My team and I also went to Durban where we got the equipment we need for the shop at lower prices. It was installed a week ago and an interior designing team started working on the interior 5 days ago. My vision is coming live and I couldn’t be more prouder. I am very glad that I have a supportive team that always wishes the best of me. What Nqobile did for me really made me emotional and overwhelmed. I had been meaning to get into that competition but I am always too busy in such a way that I always miss the deadline.

One of the annoying tasks about expanding is that we need to hire new staff. At least 3 or 4 waiters, 2 cashiers, a hostess and a security. In a way, we will be creating new job opportunities but that also means receiving thousands of applicants and having to disappoint at least 99% of them. I hate seeing the look on people when they can see that they have failed the interview and have to start over and apply to other places. But I am not the ruling party. I can’t fix the unemployment rate with just one restaurant. My current team love being in the kitchen, and with their creativity, I trust them there.

I am getting better and stronger by each week but there are some days that will make me feel the pain triple times to such an extent that I can’t get out of bed or even function. I am glad that today is not one of those days. 3 days ago, I managed to drive myself to the doctor’s appointment and it wasn’t as painful as I thought it would be. A bit sore when I came back but I was glad to learn that I can now actually drive myself from point A to point B without troubling Nqo.

I have decided to visit the shop and just see the progress with my own eyes. I don’t want people who will drag out the project for a paycheck. I love people who are quick with completing the tasks and always deliver what they promised. We have already advertised to our existing clients and online that we will be opening shop in a month, so we need to be ready for the grand opening.

I get to Boardwalk Mall and then head inside. The moment I step into the shop, I am simply amazed by the work the interior designing team has done. Everything is coming together so far and fast. They really know their story and I am glad I chose them. I take a small tour around before bumping into the manager of the team.

“Hlengiwe, so glad you are here. I was just about to call you so that you can check out the progress and see if everything is as it should be. We like input of our customers while the project is still in progress. We don’t want you complaining at the end about something that won’t be easy to fix.” I nod at her and look around one more time.

“Try a darker shade of green for that part and try to be minimal with the forest look. We want them to get the nature feel but not feel like they are in the actual jungle.”
“Okay. I can see what you’re talking about. I will make changes on our plan and we should be done here by next week.”

“That’s good to hear. The sooner the designing is done, the faster we can proceed with everything and open shop. Thank you for your hard work.” She nods and then walks away. My phone rings at that moment and I smile when I see that Mbulelo is the one calling me. “Hey, Mbulelo.”

“Hello, Hlengi. How are you today? Are you busy?”
“Not really. I just came to town to check out the progress in the shop. Maybe I will get some lunch and then head to the container to check on my team before going back home.”

“That’s a lot of things to do with your leg. How about I meet you at Panarottis in 5 minutes and then I will drive you to wherever you wanna go next?” I chuckle. He is always there for me. It’s actually really cute.

“Aren’t you supposed to be at work, Mbulelo? Don’t worry about me. I am an adult. I can take care of myself.”
“i know you can, but I Wanna take care of you. Allow me. Anyways, I am the supervisor. They can handle my absence for an hour or two. See you just now, beautiful.” He hangs up before I can say anything. This guy.

I bid farewell to the designing team before walking to Panarottis. This is one of a few restaurants that has very nice decor. That earthly feeling you get when you step inside is exactly the feeling I want in my shop. I know most stores go for green just because of content, but it really a nice colour and it makes your store pop and stand out. I order an Is’Taliano Pizza the moment I sit down. I am not the type that shies away from food. When Mbulelo gets here, I will also order with him. Food is life. The waiter brings me cucumber water and when he walks away, Mbulelo steps into the restaurant. He is wearing his work uniform and looks so sexy in it. There is something about a man in a uniform. I know money can also make him look attractive but the way it hugs him. My God. I don’t even remember the last time I had sex. The web down there must be really bad.

“Hey beautiful.” He kisses my cheek before sitting opposite me. “You look more pretty that usual. Did I interrupt any date plans?”
I laugh. “Who would wanna date a woman with this?” I point at my boot and he grins.

“You would be surprised. And that doesn’t make you ugly. Nothing can make you ugly.” Smooth. “Have you ordered?”
“Yeah, but I will add more on top of your order.”
He chuckles and calls for the waiter. “I would like sweet chilli ribs and chicken. Can I have 8 wings instead of the quarter chicken? And also a large sized drink. Thank you very much.”
The waiter notes down his order before turning to me. “Is there anything you would like to add, Miss?”

“Sticky BBQ ribs, chicken and rashers. I also want a mango SIR FRUIT juice.”
She nods and then writes down on her notepad. “Just to confirm, you ordered sweet chilli ribs with chicken and opted for wings, and a soda. And miss, you ordered sticky BBQ ribs, chicken and rashers. Also a mango SIR FRUIT juice. Is there anything else you would like to add?” I shake my head. “Okay, your pizza will be ready in five minutes. Thank you.” She walks away. I turn to see Mbulelo taking pictures of me.

“Hhaybo, what are you doing?”
He laughs. “Taking pictures of this astonishing artwork in front of me. I wanna admire it at home with no distractions later.” That’s corny as hell, but also cute. I roll my eyes and he smiles. “I know this is very sudden, but I really like you, Hlengiwe. I would like you to be my girlfriend. I am not going to pressure you or anything. We can go at whichever pace you like. And even if you don’t see me in that manner, I won’t take it badly. But I would really love to date you.”

I knew this was coming but still, I never prepared myself. He is cute and of course I wanna be his woman. Age be damned. He is more matured than most 30 year Olds. Also attractive and just too kind. I smile at him. “I will think about it.” I mumble and he laughs.
“I will take that. At least it’s not a straight up no.” I chuckle.