CHAPTER 10

“All of our licenses have been granted so we can proceed to ordering the wine and hiring the bartender.” Lineo states and I nod. You cant have the full dining experience you crave if there is no wine to wash down your food. Also there are vegan drinks that we would like to serve here and some cocktails.

We did the interviews for recruits yesterday and I was glad that we at least got everyone that we needed. Lineo made sure she spread the word out there. She used advertising companies and other influencers on social media to brag about our grand opening. I am feeling the hype. We are yet to release our opening menu. We hope it will be received with the same love. We won’t only serve vegan foods but that is our main business and the reason why Healthy Eats is where it is today. Our opening day is on the 28th of March. The day before Good Friday. Which means our pre-launch dinner for the investors will be on the 27th.

We are currently at my new office inside the restaurant. The design team is done with everything. All that’s left is some final touches and stocking up the kitchen with all the foods we need. The reason why our food is always fresh is because we never use left over vegetables. There is a farm that we work with and Mitchy always goes to collect the vegetables and fruits we will need for the day every morning. Now that she will be at the kitchen full time, we need to hire a driver who will do the work.

Mitchy hands us out some flyers. “This is a rough look of the menu.” She also hands us some green books. “That is our menu detailed. Which means the green book entails every ingredient used in a dish, every calorie or protein it has, all the information you will find at the back of every product you purchase in a store.” This is actually a wise idea. But I don’t know if I like the menu.

“Isn’t there another sample of the menu? This one is not giving for me.” Pamela utters and Nqobile nods.
“Yeah, I am also not feeling it.” She murmurs.
Mitchy takes out 2 pamphlets from her bag and places it on the table. “These two are rough designs. The only thing that’s precise is the contents and the colour.”

“All from that printing company?” I ask and she nods. “I think it's time we look at other options. Maybe trying out those freelancing people from social media. They will amaze you.”

“Okay boss. I will get right to it.” She takes away the menus.
“But the green book is fire and I love the concept. We should have at least 20 for the shop. Any bartenders in mind, Pamela?”
She nods. “I think we should take someone who is already famous on social media. An influencing bartender. Give them the platform to showcase their craft here.”

“Okay. You handle the recruiting because I am done with that. Just make sure that person is hot.” They all laugh. “You guys are welcome to invite your families and partners on the investors’ night.”

“That’s awesome. Thank you boss.” Lineo drawls with a wide smile. Nqobile gives me a look and I just shake my head. I know she is about to suggest I invite my family but I am not going to do that.

“You guys can go back to work.” They head out and Nqobile stays behind. “Don’t start, Nqobile.”
She raises her hands in surrender. “I didn’t say anything.”
“But I know what you were about to say. How are things with the good doctor?”
She blushes. “I know you’re trying to distract me and it’s working. Things are going well between us. We will go on a mini vacation after the grand opening. Maybe a weekend away and then come back. He is very serious about me. He even said he wants to introduce me to his parents.”

“What about you? Are you serious about him?”
She stops smiling and sits back. “There is something about him. He makes me feel alive and whole. He makes me feel loved and appreciated. He can bring out the wild side in me and also the tame side. I have never felt like this before in a relationship. Is this how a serious relationship feels like?”

I chuckle. “You are in love, my friend. Anyways, don’t feel pressured by anything. Just go with the flow and let love lead the way.”
She exhales loudly. “Hopefully love won’t lead us astray. By the way, we need two new cooks at the kitchen. We have an Easter wedding and a political dinner same weekend to cater for. We can’t turn down that kind of money just because we have a restaurant now.” I nod. I know that she is right.

“Are both events on the same day?” she shakes her head.
“The wedding is on Saturday and the dinner is on Sunday.”
“Okay. Recruit three new chefs. Make sure you check their portfolios and establish whether they are familiar with the dishes we serve. It would be great to get people fresh out of varsity or those who have done only internships. My aim is to open doors for unemployed graduates.”

“Sure boss. I will update you on my progress tomorrow. I am pretty sure I will have at least 10 interviews scheduled for Wednesday.” She heads out.

×××

After spending the whole day at the office, I decide to go out and have a nice dinner before heading home. I head to Roccomamas and order a burger meal and some wings. While browsing through my phone, I spot a familiar face walk in and I wave my hand. She smiles and comes to my table.

“Hlengiwe, how are you?” I stand up and we share a hug.
“Ntando Ncube. You look good. How long has it been?”
“A few years. You also look good. You are here with someone?”
“No. You can join me.” We both sit down. “You have really grown.”

She laughs. “Look who is talking.” She is one of the first people I got acquainted with when I first moved to Esikhawini. She had a fast food business and was renting a container. I don’t know what happened to the business or her.

“What happened to your business?”
She smiles. I got the job I studied for and I couldn’t find the right person who was going to continue running the container so I just sold it and all the cooking equipment. How about you? How are things with Healthy Eats?”

“Things are happening. I continued cooking and the business grew as time went by. I am actually going to open my first branch here in Boardwalk month end.”
Her eyes pop out. “OMG! Hlengiwe, that’s amazing. Congratulations.” I smile. “You are really a stubborn entrepreneur and that’s one of the qualities I admired about you back then.”

“Thank you, Ntando. And I am so happy that you found the job you prayed for. I love it when women succeed in life. We are living examples that Dreams are valid and you won’t actually amount to anything until you draw up a potential future and know what you want in life. Going with the flow is never a good thing.”

She smiles. “I am definitely coming to the grand launch. When is it?”
“28 March.” She takes out her phone and taps on it a few moments.
“Was setting a reminder.” I chuckle. “I will definitely come with a few of my friends just for support.”
“I would appreciate that very much.”