CHAPTER 4

I got discharged from the hospital two weeks ago and life has been really hard. Adapting from being able to move on your own to actually using crutches to take you wherever you wanna go, even the bathroom, has been such a challenge. Nqobile made it her duty to move in with me just so she can take care of me. When she initially suggested the move, I brushed her off, thinking when I get back home, everything would go back to normal. But I was completely wrong. I need her for everything. She cooks, she cleans, makes sure I take my medication at the right time. She is just an angel. A little sister that I never had and never knew I needed. You should always take note of the people who stick with you in times of difficulty like these. Those people are loyal and your die hard.

Talking about loyal people, I last saw Mbulelo the day before I got discharged. He came to my ward looking all handsome and shit with flowers and food. We just conversed and got to know each other better but then he disappeared on me. I don't know what happened, but I told myself that I am not going to stress myself about an old guy with thirty-two teeth. He knows what he is doing. I have a lot on my plate and worrying about his actions is really not on my agenda. He did text me two days ago with a lousy 'good morning' and I just mized him. I don't have time for people like him in my life.

Today I am finally going to take off my cast. Walking around with this heavy thing on my leg is not fun. I am still not healed, not even halfway there, but at least I will be wearing a boot from now on which will assist me in walking. Nqobile is the one who will be driving me to the hospital for my appointment which is at 11 am. She got up early just to check on things with the container we have at Richards Bay and make sure they have all the stock they need. I hear a knock on the door, and I wonder who it is. Nqobile wouldn't knock and I am not friends with my neighbours. I just ignore the knock hoping they will go away, but they are persistent shame. Yoh. The two minutes’ walk from my bedroom to the front door is not child's play. By the time I reach the door, I am sweating like crazy. I open it and I roll my eyes when I see Monde standing behind the security gates with a wide smile. His eyes scan me, and they get stuck on my cast. The smile slowly vanishes on his face, and he places the plastics he is carrying on the floor. He opens the security gates fast and walks in.

"What happened? Are you okay? Who did this to you? Tell me now and I will go punish them." He asks these man questions as he walks me to the nearest couch. He helps me sit down and then places my leg in the coffee table. He brings in his plastics and places them at the kitchen. "What happened, babe? I leave for a few weeks, and I come back to this?" Leave? Hebana.

I frown. Is he delusional or something? "Leave? Monde, I dumped you after you went and paid lobola to a baddie. That was the end of our relationship. What are you doing here? Why are you acting as if all is well when you are the root of our current situation? I admire your sympathy, but I don't need it. Please leave." I point at the door and he just sighs.

"Hlengi, don't be stubborn. Not at a time like this. You definitely need assistance because you can't move around in that. And stop mentioning that lobola thing. Tholi is pregnant with my child, and she threatened to abort it if I don't lobola her. You know how much I love kids, so I couldn't let her do that." I scoff and shake my head. I am so over him and his bullshit.

"Don't insult my intelligence, Monde. Just leave, man. I don't have time to listen to your shit. I don't need you taking care of me. I can do that for myself, and I actually do have friends who care for me and have been there for me since day one. Don't make me call the cops or security. Just go." I fold my arms to the chest and give him a deadly stare so that he can understand I mean business.

He smiles. "You know how cute you look when you're angry." God. I wish I can bang my head in the wall. This guy is so frustrating. I open my mouth to curse at him but then he chuckles and stands up. "Be right back." He walks to the kitchen and comes back with Glow candy. He places it on my lap and kisses my forehead. "I am sorry for what happened to you, but please know that Tholi and I are nothing. It's not serious. Just pretenses because of her ultimatum and family drama. You know I love you and you know we belong together. I will come and check up on your tomorrow, okay? I will send dinner later. Take care, my love." He places a gentle kiss on the back of my hand and moves to the door. Right that instant, Nqobile walks in with a paper bag. She looks at Monde and just scoffs.

"I hope you are on your way out or else I will not be held liable for what I am about to do to you." She spits angrily and Monde laughs.
"Oww, Nqobile. Always a breath of fresh air." He ruffles her hair on his way out and Nqobile grunts. She turns to me.
"What the fuck did he want?"
"That one is delulu, bra. We should change the gate locks because I can't have him walking in and out of here as he pleases."
She nods. "I will purchase them on our way back from the hospital. Is there anything you need before we leave? You hungry?" Shame. She is back to being her compassionate self. Monde does bring out the worst in everyone.

"Some juice and cakes. Opening the door did tire me out."

***

She slowly removes the cast until my leg is free again after a long time. It feels weird without the heavy cast but definitely nice. This takes me one step closer to getting back to normal. The doctor slowly cleans my incision with a gauze pad after soaking it on sterilized water. she discards of the gauze pad and writes something on a paper. She hands it to Nqobile.

"This is what she will use to clean her incision daily. When bathing, ensure that it does not come into contact with water and whenever it feels itchy, you will gently apply the lotion you will get from the pharmacy. I have also prescribed more pain meds for you but please use them only when necessary. We don't want you falling down due to overdose and coming back here for another admission, okay?" The last part is directed to me. I nod and she smiles. "The worst part is over. You are now on your road to recovery. On your next checkup date, you will do an x-ray just to see if your bones are doing a better job repairing themselves. Stay safe and have a great day."

"Thank you, doctor."

Nqobile wheels me out and we pass by the pharmacy. We pick up the prescription and as we are walking to the parking lot, some doctor climbs out of a Mercedes G-Class and Nqobile literally stops my wheelchair. Hebana. This girl walks towards the doctor's direction who is just typing on his phone. He stops when he notices someone in his path and looks at her. Nqobile smiles at him.

"I am Nqobile Msibi, 23 years of age, a certified chef and I am single. How about you take me out on a date so that we can determine if we are compatible?" Hhaybo lentombazana yakwa Msibi.
The guy laughs and takes a step back. "I am Phelelani Magwaza, 30 years old, a cardio specialist and I am married to my job. But I admire your guts."
"You can't actually sit by and watch your soulmate walk away. God made me see you for a reason and now things must be done." The courage ka girl. She always does this. She is not afraid to approach guys and they get hooked on her, but she changes them like a pair of underwear, not carrying about breaking their hearts.

Phelelani seems charmed because he extends his phone. “Type in your number then, soulmate. I don’t want you to pass me by.” She quickly types in her number and then calls herself.

“Just so you don’t call me after hooking up with all those sexy nurses inside there.” She hands him back his phone and then does the unimaginable. She perks his lips and walks back to me. Yey! The guys this girl have. “Let’s go boss.” We proceed to the car, and I am still just speechless from that whole encounter.