Training

"You need to hit it harder each time. You are building your endurance and strength at the same time; it's not going to be easy," Melani chided, her arms crossed as she leaned against the doorway of the training area.

The moon hung high in the sky over the school's training grounds. Melani was the only instructor who had truly taken on a teaching role for me. As another general who had closely worked with my father, she felt it was her duty to his legacy to help me in any way she could. Melani wasn't soft with me, but she was someone who motivated me to do better every day, even after graduation. It's been almost six years since I graduated from school, and she still trains with me every day.

"You try 200 punches that build in succession and get back to me" I huffed, sweat beading on my forehead, my hair clinging in random fashion.

Melani lifted an eyebrow, "Is that a challenge?"

Icy fear halted me mid-swing. Swallowing it down, I turned to face Melani. Her platinum hair and piercing blue eyes were intimidating. She also had muscles look like they ripple with every step, but her curves are still so feminine..She looks like one of the women in the entertainment guild who men pay just to talk to. I am completely jealous and aspire to be like her when I get older. Her age shows a bit in the corners of her eyes from the ghosts of many smiles. Now, she's more of a stern woman since her combat injury, but she has a soft spot for me. At least, I hope she does.

Giving my best glare into Melani's scrutinizing eyes, I began, "I suppose it i-" A swift kick interrupted any further discussion, heading straight for my temple. I barely managed to duck out of the way.

"Hey!" I started to whine, sending a counter swing for Melani's gut. However, my hand got wrenched away as Melani grabbed it and took me for a journey into the air. I flipped over but miraculously landed on my feet.

"You asked for this," Melani smirked.

I huffed and swept my leg around to kick Melani's leg out from under her, but the move left me off balance. Shit. Eyes wide, I watched as Melani vaulted at me, feet first. I leapt and somersaulted out of the way. Melani always bitches about somersault dodges as being lazy because 'you might as well do a back handspring' but.. desperate times.

"LAZY!" Melani growled and charged at me again.

Taking a second to prepare myself. I prepared to swing on Melani's left side. She favored it from her injury in combat. Once she was close enough, I shot out, striking with a left hook, my only hope of contact. Melani anticipated it at the very last second, but not quite fast enough. My fist connected, but only enough to swipe across the tip of Melani's already very bent-up nose.

"Good job taking advantage of my weaknesses-but I promise you'll find no others" Melani said, nodding in approval as she began to dab the slight amount of blood leaking out of her left nostril.

Suddenly giddy, I let out a quick laugh. Melani raised an eyebrow.

"Did you not realize that was my FIRST time making you bleed? For once! Maybe you're getting sloppy, old lady" I teased.

"I'm just a little tired today" Melani gritted out as she started to charge once again.

In my excitement, I had lost focus and found myself late dodging a kick directly to my shin. Fuck. I keeled over, straight into Melani's waiting knee.

"YIELD!" Melani yelled, victory ebbing from each heavy breath she took.

I twisted out of her arms, shin throbbing, and managed to get back into my stance.

"No thanks" I grunted, wiping sweat from my brow.

Melani smiled and charged again. We spent the better part of an hour attacking and dodging until we both were out of breath. I managed a few more connections (no blood, though), maybe Melani WAS tired.. But either way, I had taken a way bigger beating.