Chapter 5: A Magical World [2]

The thought itself was depressing and it lowered his spirits even further, causing him to fall silent even as they reached the top of the lighthouse. He felt like he was in a daze all of a sudden, and homesickness quickly overwhelmed him like a tide.

"Hey... you okay?"

Ardyn lifted his head and met Evan's worried gaze. The latter had already opened the door leading to the outside, beckoning for him to come with him. Through the open doorway, Ardyn could see the sun shining brightly in the sky as well as the shimmering waters extending towards the horizon.

It was a pretty sight, but it did nothing to raise his mood.

"...I'm all right," Ardyn whispered, following Evan and then resting his elbows on the railing, eyes cast forward yet his gaze was unseeing.

Silence followed after that, but Ardyn couldn't bring himself to care. He was too preoccupied with his thoughts, trying not to show his inner sadness. Friendly or not, Evan was still a stranger, and Ardyn was the type of person who didn't like showing vulnerability to others no matter how close they were.

He knew that Evan brought him here so they could talk and so he could explain what he might know about his purpose being here, but as time passed, Ardyn grew afraid.

Frankly, the more he thought about it, it would've been better if he didn't have any purpose here. This world was too unfamiliar and it felt like he was treading into dangerous territory all by himself.

So, if he actually did have a purpose here in this world, that would mean that he was brought here for a reason. Just like all those books he read about main characters traveling to another world, they were destined to be a hero.

But Ardyn was not a hero. He wasn't hero material. He only knew how to upgrade characters and equip them with powerful weapons and armor in video games.

He was just another ordinary guy...

For a moment, memories of the past surfaced in his mind like vivid photographs. He had a few regrets in his life, one of which was that he hadn't been able to tell his parents that he loved them. He wouldn't be able to see his older sister start her new family with her husband. He wouldn't be able to explore more of the world as an adult, experience the working life, and experience having a family or growing old.

He regretted not talking to his mother more on the phone before the accident. He regretted not being with his friends one last time.

He thought about the kind taxi driver. He wondered if the man had come here with him.

But that seemed impossible.

But why? Why him of all people?

Ardyn tried to remember exactly what had happened before the accident. Everything had gone well. The traffic had loosened, the car was driving going straight ahead, but then...

Wait...

Ardyn's brow furrowed.

That butterfly...

He shook his head quickly. No. Why would that be suspicious at all? It was just an ordinary butterfly. To think otherwise was ridiculous.

But on the other hand, he could have sworn that the butterfly had looked different. That it had seemed to radiate something otherworldly...

"Ardyn?"

The sound of Evan's soft voice broke Ardyn out of his spiraling thoughts. Dazed, he turned his head towards his companion.

"Ah, yeah?"

Evan opened his mouth to say something, but no words came out. He pursed his lips instead, looking deep in thought as though he were considering rephrasing his attempt.

Ardyn waited for him patiently, lowering his gaze, feeling no energy inside of him to barrage the other with questions.

Finally, after what seemed to be a few minutes, Evan's gaze went back to him.

"I'm sorry if this might trigger something, but I need to ask you this to make sure."

Attention successfully caught, Ardyn met his gaze straight-on. "What is it?"

Evan's features softened.

"You died, didn't you?"

The words made Ardyn stiffen. Of all things, that was not what he had expected to hear.

A slight chill ran down his arm. "How did you know that?" he asked, startled. Had he mentioned it to the other man earlier? Ardyn couldn't remember. He had been so panicked on the beach that he couldn't even remember half of what he had said in his frenzy.

It was just that this statement totally caught him off-guard.

Evan didn't even look surprised at his reaction.

In fact, it even seemed as if he already expected it.

"Because," Evan said slowly, carefully, "you're not the first Otherworlder to come here."

"I'm not the first what now?" Ardyn repeated, dumbfounded. The unfamiliar term instantly caught his attention. "Other—what? Wait, what do you mean?" He stepped forward, hope shining in his eyes. "Do you mean there are others like me here in this world, too?! Where are they right now? Can you lead me to them immediately?"

Maybe they can help me figure things out! he thought. Whether I'm really alive or dead...

"H—Hold on, just one question at a time," Evan stammered out, raising his arms in surrender. "Calm down a moment, and I will answer each one. First off, yes. You are not the first Otherworlder who came here to this world."

Evan then averted his gaze momentarily.

"There have been a few people like you who were suddenly transported to this world after death for one sole purpose. However," he continued on, albeit hesitantly, "before I tell you what that purpose is, you must promise me something."

Ardyn's heart sank to his stomach. The look on Evan's face made him nervous all of a sudden. "What?"

"I'm sure you're also wondering why I had to take you here where there aren't any other people around," Evan said solemnly. "It's because I need to warn you in private so that nobody else could know except for the two of us."

Ardyn swallowed.

Evan's expression was serious. "Remember this. Don't ever tell anyone that you are an Otherworlder.

"Or else... your life here would become very, very difficult."