Chapter 9: Before The Banquet [2]

"Is the soundproofing sphere activated?"

"Yes, Your Highness."

A chuckle. "No need to call me that right now, Matty. We're in a private room."

"All right, then. If you say so." The sound of a smack on the back of the head instantly resounded in the walls. "You frigging dummy! Do you have any idea how much trouble you've caused me?! And what about the near-heart attack that I suffered earlier?!"

"Ouch! Hey, have mercy on me!"

Mathias had gone straight to the private room where Evan was waiting for the other Guardians. Right now, the servants and the soldiers were taking care of last-minute preparations, so the Prince didn't have to do anything at the moment.

"Seriously..." Mathias heaved a long-suffering sigh. "I have no clue what to do. I restrained myself in front of that Otherworlder earlier, but right now I can feel my veins popping out from anger."

"Calm down. He's not the one at fault," Evan reminded him gently.

"Then who else can I blame?" Mathias said with a scowl. "You know very well what happens to this world whenever the Calamity returns, Evan. It's not pretty."

Evan's expression was somber. "Of course I know. We went on a long journey back then. All of us together. We helped all those people. We saw all the destruction. We witnessed the demon itself wreak havoc on our lands."

"Which is why this is a very serious matter!" Mathias said, rubbing his temples from stress. "I'm always prepared, but this one is far beyond my expectations. We don't even have much time left. What are we supposed to do?"

"Calm down," Evan repeated, reaching out to pat his friend on the back reassuringly. "You're usually the most logical and rational person in the group, Matty. We can get through this. I believe so."

Mathias took a deep breath. "Maybe," he said quietly. "But it's hard to focus."

"I know," Evan said gently.

"Evan. We only have about 18 hours left."

"I know."

"It's not enough."

"I know."

Mathias looked at him, crestfallen. "Why are you still so calm? So many things can go wrong, and yet you... I just can't understand."

Evan chuckled. "On the inside, I'm not so calm. But I'm a Summoner. I'm the Prince. I have to be calm at all times. I'm just good at hiding my inner turmoil."

Mathias felt an ache in his chest at his friend's words. They were the same age, only a few months apart, yet Evan was the one who always had the bigger burden on his shoulders. Being the Prince of a kingdom and being a Summoner at the same time was no easy feat.

Sometimes Mathias wondered what it would have been like if Evan were a mere commoner instead. Maybe his friend would be much happier.

Still, it was evident that no matter what, his friend was still happy and contented. He was always smiling, always gentle, and always optimistic. He was loved by many people because of this warm personality of his.

If the information about the Otherworlder ever got out, Mathias couldn't even imagine the amount of betrayal that the people would feel. Personally, he respected Evan's decisions and knew that his friend only did what was best.

But what of the people that barely knew him? Would they also understand his genuine intentions?

Not only that, but the King and the Queen would be furious. It was like being stuck in a rock and a hard place.