Chapter 7: The Castle [2]

After that, not many words were exchanged between them. Rather, Mathias was the one leading the conversation, talking about each section of the palace with a friendly tone in his voice. After his statement just now, the atmosphere between them softened into an amiable one, something Ardyn was comfortable with for the time being.

Inwardly, he was grateful that Mathias didn't ask any more questions. Although Ardyn was usually a chatterbox with his friends, being in such unfamiliar territory made him crawl into himself, wary of opening up to a bunch of strangers.

Everything in this world was beautiful and surreal. There were many new things that he had never seen before. It was a universe that called out to one's soul, tempting them to go on a glorious adventure.

And that was exactly why he felt so out of place.

It would have been bearable if he'd had someone he knew with him. But he was all alone, trapped in a world where he was forced to follow its rules and discover his own destiny and identity.

Why was it all so complicated? He wasn't even in the right mindset to think clearly at the moment. He was so confused and tired.

He just wanted to go home.

He missed home.

"...and this will be your room," Mathias said, his voice trickling through Ardyn's troubled thoughts.

They stopped in the middle of the corridor, just in front of a pair of ornate wooden doors that led to what appeared to be one of the guest rooms.

Ardyn hesitantly grasped the knob and turned it, stepping inside once he opened the door.

The room was as elegant as the castle itself. The walls were decorated with intricate carvings and cool colors. The area was spacious and well-lit, with tall windows framed in sleek, white-trimmed casings that overlooked the gardens below. The sheer, gossamer curtains swayed in the breeze, allowing natural light to fill the room and creating a serene, ethereal atmosphere.

The floor was made of polished marble, and a luxurious king-size bed sat in one corner of the room. Intricately carved wooden cabinets and dressers were lined against the walls, with porcelain vases and figurines as decor.

It was so beautiful that the scene looked like it came from a painting itself. More like a dream, in fact.

Oh, how Ardyn wished that this was indeed a dream. If he slept in that large bed now, would he be back in his world when he woke up?

"Are you feeling uncomfortable?" Mathias asked when he saw the lack of enthusiasm on Ardyn's face. The man looked a little concerned, even.

Ardyn shook his head. "I'm okay. Thank you so much for allowing me to stay here," he said politely, not wanting anyone to worry too much about him. He could manage to adjust by himself from now on.

Mathias looked unconvinced, but he nodded anyway. "All right. The Prince said he'll come by later, so you can stay here for the night and make yourself at home."

He began to exit the room, but paused when he suddenly remembered something.

"Oh, right," he said. "If you ever need anything, you can ask the maids outside. You can also ask them to call for me if you would like to speak about something urgent."

Ardyn nodded. "Thanks."

"Great. I'll see you later!"

And then Mathias was out the door.

Ardyn heard him talking to the maids outside before his footsteps faded away.

When Ardyn was sure that Mathias had left, he let out a shaky, long-suffering sigh.