Chapter 15: Evacuation [1]

Ardyn was almost done packing when he suddenly heard the sound of knocking.

"It's me," Evan's familiar voice sounded softly through the door. "I'm coming in, okay?"

Ardyn finished zipping up his backpack when Evan entered the room. The younger man was holding a small bag in his hand as he approached.

"The plan has commenced," he said. "We just finished informing the King and Queen. We will be giving an announcement to all citizens shortly."

"What did your parents say?"

"They were not happy." Evan sighed. "Anyway, thanks to your disguise during the banquet and your cover story as my friend and one of the lower-class royals, I can confidently say that you're in the clear for now."

Ardyn didn't miss that last part.

'For now', he said.

Such simple words, but with such heavy weight attached to them.

Well, at least I got to eat good food before I potentially die...

"They are currently preparing everything as we speak," Evan continued on. "The soldiers will be quite busy from now on. I'll sneak you out soon once there's an opening. With Ansel here, it'll be much easier."

"Ansel?" Ardyn inquired. What did the boy have to do with this?

"He holds the magic of invisibility," Evan explained. "He's proficient enough that he can spread it to people and objects, but only for a limited amount of time."

Invisibility?! Ardyn's jaw almost dropped open. I can get to see such awesome magic?

"You look amazed," Evan said, laughing.

"I've always wanted to have magic like that!" Ardyn exclaimed. "Isn't it cool if you can just sneak in anywhere and play pranks on people with it? They'd never know that it was you!"

"Pranks? I guess you're one of those mischievous ones."

"Hey, the daily university life was hectic. I needed some thrill every now and then."

Ardyn sighed before collapsing onto the mattress, feeling his limbs drained of energy.

"I haven't thanked you yet, have I? How can I express my gratitude to you? I don't feel like just saying thank you is enough," he mumbled.

Evan smiled. "There's no need to thank me, though the sentiment is appreciated. I'm merely doing what I think is right."

"Well then, it's a good thing I ran into you instead of any other person," Ardyn said, responding to him with a weary smile of his own. "I must've given you so much trouble since I first appeared."

"I will not lie. It has been hectic," Evan said lightly. "But if you really want to make it up to me, then I have a few requests."

"What is it?" Ardyn asked as he sat up to look properly at the prince. "You can ask anything of me, and I'll do my best to fulfill it."

"I want you to find your purpose in this world," Evan said softly.

Ardyn stared at him blankly. "My purpose?" he repeated.

Evan nodded. "I personally think that you're meant for something greater. Something far beyond anyone's expectations."

"Whoa, whoa. Aren't you giving me too much credit here?"

"There was once a saying from the former Oracle. 'When a person of legend, a person that comes from another world, graces this land, they will either be this world's savior, or its destruction'."