Chapter 10: Meeting [5]

When he received a look of surprise in response, Clay added in clarification, "I know that you've always been easily attached to people, but I can't help feeling that there's something more to your actions than what it seems on the outside."

To be honest, Clay was a little worried. Despite Evan's gentle and optimistic demeanor, the Guardians often struggled to understand his true thoughts. He just had this mysterious air about him that left people guessing what he was really thinking. He also had a tendency to be roundabout with his words, which could be frustrating at times.

Even if it was unintentional, this part of his personality made the Guardians feel a little distant from him. Sometimes he also liked to do things on his own without consulting anyone, which made them worry even more.

For Clay, Evan was a dear friend. He was not just a Summoner. He was also someone whom Clay wanted to help and understand deeply.

Evan studied him, his eyes seeming to probe into Clay's mind. Ansel, on the other hand, had an expectant look on his face, as if he was also curious about the same thing.

"There are many reasons why I decided to help him instead of turning him in," Evan answered softly. "If you think about it logically, divulging his real identity won't do anybody any good, right? In times like this, avoiding panic among the citizens and minimizing disruption are the most important things to heed during emergencies."

"Disruption?" Ansel inquired.

"What do you think will happen if everyone knows about Ardyn?" Evan asked gently. "During an evacuation, of all things? It's supposed to be a critical process. What if a riot breaks out? You read what happened to Otherworlders in the past. Remember, it's been 200 years since the last one arrived here. Everyone, including us, thought that their era was finally over."

"Oh..." Ansel seemed pensive. "That's true..."

Evan nodded. "There are too many possibilities at hand, so I'm trying to be careful. What's important is that we don't risk it. It's not that I consider his life more important than our own."

"Did you tell him yet?" Clay suddenly asked in a low voice.

Evan turned to him, confused. "About what?"

"About him needing to find his Summoner," Clay clarified. "And his fellow Guardians."

"Ah." Evan nodded. "I did encourage him to. Yes."

Clay hesitated for a moment. "But, Your Highness... Those people..."

"If they are meant to be together, it will happen. Have we all not been trying to find a way to break the cycle once and for all?" Evan pointed out. "In order to follow through with that mindset, one must step outside of their boundaries and traditions. Why not give fate a chance this time?"

Clay's eyes widened in realization. "Wait! You mean...?"

Evan raised a hand slightly, as if to silence him for a moment. His eyes darted somewhere they couldn't follow.

Then, as quickly as it had appeared, the peculiar look in his eyes faded.

He smiled as though nothing just happened. "I'll be quite busy during the evacuation, so you guys will take care of him in my stead, right? You don't have to watch over him closely. Just make sure that he's safely in a group, okay?"

Clay and Ansel both fell silent.

Then, ever so slowly, they nodded.

Evan smiled and put his arm around each of their shoulders, pulling them close. Since Clay was a little taller, he had to lean down to accommodate his Summoner.

"Thank you," Evan said softly. "It's earlier than we had expected, but we must always fulfill our duties. For the people, and especially for the ones that we love."

A gentle look flashed in Clay's eyes. "Of course."

"I'll always be by your side, Evan. You can count on me!" Ansel promised.

They walked towards the stairs, chatting all the while. Behind them, Mathias continued to rant about more of Evan's mischief, while Ardyn struggled to contain his laughter.

Unbeknownst to them, someone in the shadows was observing, their eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"What in the world is the Prince up to now?" the person muttered.

‏‏‎ ‎

* * *

‏‏‎ ‎

Meanwhile, outside of the city, a lone man approached the gates.

He was dressed in the same white cloak as before, the long fabric fluttering at the ends as the wind blew past. He tilted his head to look at the stars in the sky, feeling a sense of unease creep into his heart.

Just then, a vibration came from his pocket. With a sigh, he took out the commcrystal from his pocket and held it in his hand. It glowed a bright green, indicating that someone was trying to contact him.

The man stopped and activated the crystal, causing the color to change from green to a pale blue.

"Where are you?!" a voice immediately came echoing in his head.

"Calm down," the man responded telepathically in a casual tone, as though he were used to this.

"No, I won't calm down!" the voice said angrily. "Did you really go to the Silver Kingdom? You can't just be there on your own! It's too dangerous! You should've let me come with you!"

"Zach," the man said soothingly. "It's fine. I can handle myself."

"But Luke!" the voice that apparently belonged to Zach protested. "It's too risky! What are you gonna do if somebody discovers your identity? You're gonna get harassed again!"

"I'll be careful, as I always am. Don't worry," the man, Luke, reasoned calmly. "I need to do this. Something here is calling out to me. I can't keep ignoring it for long."

Zach went quiet for a moment. "What do you mean something is calling out to you?" he asked slowly.

"I don't know. But..." Luke closed his eyes with a sigh. "There might be an incoming storm soon, and it seems to be a strong one. Take your family and find shelter somewhere out of the village. No matter what happens, you and your loved ones must be safe."

"What?" Zach's voice was filled with panic. "What are you talking about? Luke! What about you?"

"I told you. I'll be fine. Don't worry about me." Luke's gaze dimmed slightly. "And if anything happens to me, you'll know. But I wish you would not come nevertheless."

"What?! No, Luke—"

"I'm hanging up now, Zach. I need to ask the gods for an answer. I can't take your calls tonight. I'm sorry."

Before Zach could protest further, Luke deactivated the commcrystal and placed it back inside his pocket. He had even squeezed out all remnants of magic from the crystal, rendering it useless temporarily.

I'm sorry, Zach, Luke apologized internally.

But I need to find my answers as soon as possible, even if it costs me my life.