Chapter 15: Evacuation [2]

Meanwhile, inside the Holy Church of Angelbay City, Luke was praying in one of the small private rooms.

He had just come out of his meditation trance, a common habit of his whenever he entered a holy place. He wanted to be spiritually in touch with the gods before proceeding with the formal prayers.

It was strange, though. The meditation felt different this time, but he couldn't figure out why.

Kneeling on the soft carpet, he reached out and touched the flowers on the altar, marveling at how soft the petals were.

"Something pulled me here," he said quietly, his voice echoing softly against the soundproof walls. "Or rather, was it someone?"

Was it that man whom he had encountered earlier? The one with the black hair and pretty gray eyes.

Luke sighed softly.

He didn't know why, but he ran as soon as the stranger's friend called his name. The friend's appearance was strikingly familiar, which was probably what triggered his flight response. He then sought refuge in the Church and asked for a private room, wanting to be alone for a while and gather his thoughts.

Now that he thought about it, the friend looked remarkably like the Prince of Angelbay City, Evangelon Silvermane.

Luke could not risk being seen by someone from the royal family. That would only cause him unnecessary trouble.

His thoughts soon drifted back to the stranger.

I wonder who he was? he thought, feeling his heart twist slightly. He also seemed so familiar.

But I'm sure that I have never met him before.

Or have I?

He thought back to everything that happened so far today. When he thought about it deeply, something was odd. Very odd.

The people outside were in joyous celebration, but the priests in this Church were in chaos. They were all in a state of unease.

Even in Luke's condition, he could sense it. It practically permeated the air.

Despite their distraction when he arrived earlier, he had managed to get a room on the third floor. Hardly anyone was there, maybe because they were all at the banquet.

He had never been fond of grand celebrations, but he probably should've gone inside the castle for a quick visit. That way, he could know what it was like to enter a royal family's home.

Again, Luke. No risks.

He sighed again. He just felt so uneasy for some reason. He had thought that coming here would ease the tension in his heart, but strangely, the discomfort only grew. He didn't know what to do, and he didn't understand why.

Was a storm really brewing just like he had told Zach earlier?

He hoped not.

There were only a few dangers left in this world after the Calamity was sealed away, and that monster wouldn't be coming back for at least five more years. They had a long time of peace remaining.

But still...

Should I have gone straight to that man earlier? he wondered. I feel a little regret that I didn't get to hear his voice.

Or know his nam—

Luke winced as he suddenly felt a slight pain coming from his forehead.

What? he thought in surprise.