Chapter Two: Extermination Day Instances

They say that the more unreachable something gets, you really just can't help but want it more and more.

Soleil sat atop Lucifer's isolated mansion, unseen and unknown to every screaming demon that loitered around hell. She sighed and hugged her legs close to her chest, nuzzling her cheek onto her knees.

It was extermination day.

She smiled.

While it was a dreadful day even for her, it was the only day when she could visit the Morningstars incognito. They became her source of happiness at some point.

She wondered how Little Charlotte was doing. Not so little now perhaps? Soleil kept visiting Charlie until the age of five when the girl can already start to remember things and people. Instead of interacting with the child, she kept watch instead, maintaining her distance far from Charlie, her mother, and her father. She kept this routine for years until Charlie turned eighteen and moved out of her dear father's mansion who was just absolutely devastated.

Now, for almost two hundred years, she watched the girl's father, who's mental health deteriorated more each year after his wife left him and after his daughter moved out. Soleil always watched with curious eyes as she peeked on the window of his workshop, suppressing a smile at the sight of the growing mountains of rubber ducks that each had their own characters.

But Lucifer seemed so out of it, she noticed. Each day of the year she went to hell along with other angels, he succumbed more to his grief and the large protective bubble he created for himself. The bags under his eyes only seemed to grow darker as the Lucifer she once knew from heaven lost his light. She can't really blame him for that. In Lucifer's eyes, he probably lost everything he ever loved and wanted.

His place in heaven.

His dreams.

His daughter.

And his wife.

Soleil sighed and closed her eyes, wrapping her wings around her body to cocoon herself.

She wondered what happened to Hell's royal family for Lucifer to isolate himself like that. What became of Lilith? Back then, Soleil happily and quietly observed their little family as they bonded with bright smiles while the shrieks of the sinners played outside the mansion. What made Lilith leave her husband and daughter? What had she been doing for the past seven years?

She sighed, scrunching her forehead.

Lucifer grew more distant from the world because of those, not even giving her any kind of opening.

Not that she had any need nor want to meet the man.

She was content just watching him from afar.

After all, they were immortals.

They had the rest of their lives to live and Soleil wouldn't risk her quiet joy just to talk with the man she admired for millions of years now. Besides, she was an angel. Why would he even spare her an ounce of his attention? She could live without ever interacting with him. She could live just watching him like this. She won't even mind if he married again to another woman. Or man? She didn't know him enough to guess his sexuality, being only married to one woman in his entire life. She couldn't care less if he doesn't even notice her for as long as they're alive.

Maybe.

She sighed again and tried to think about other things.

Until she heard a cough behind her.

"Uh.. ahem..."

Her first instinct was to stand up, grab her sword, and fly away without looking behind, ignoring her pounding heart and darkening vision from how fast she stood up. She almost fell on one of the buildings when her brain couldn't handle the lack of oxygen, only to be dragged up by a familiar hand.