Chapter Fourteen: Unplugged - The Luddites Vs The Tracy Family!

The three adults and Luna walk for about twenty minutes.

"It's working, the compass is leading us right to—" Virgil begins.

"Right into a wall... Did I do something wrong, Uncle Virgil?" Willow asks.

"A dead end?" Grandma Tracy asks.

"On the surface maybe." Phoebe mutters to herself. Grandma Tracy and Luna wander away together.

"I'll bet whatever is causing the EMF is somewhere under here." Virgil says as he stomps on the ground, "But without a laser bore or a particle excavator, it's going to take a while to dig our way underground."

"Virgil." Phoebe states.

"I'm thinking, Pheebs." Virgil explains.

"Yes, but I have a suggestion." Phoebe says.

"Not now, please." Virgil replies. Willow whacks him in the head with the paper.

"Ouch." Virgil states.

"Don't ignore my mama, Uncle Virgil." Willow scolds.

"Sorry, what are you thinking?" Virgil asks.

"Actually–" Phoebe states and Grandma Tracy clears her throat.

"Ahem. Virgil?" Grandma Tracy states and motions to the entrance to the underground. They look over towards her at the same time.

"Or we can just use the Underground." Virgil says.

"That's using your head." Grandma Tracy explains and Virgil sets Willow down and she walks beside Luna. Virgil cracks a glow stick light and Willow reaches for it, wanting it because she was afraid of the dark and it was getting darker without the moonlight.

"Viola! Thunderbirds are glow!" Virgil jokes.

"Miles, your uncle Virgil isn't funny either, remember that." Phoebe explains. Miles was still sleeping through all this.

"Hey!" Virgil replies, insulted.

"How did you do that?" Grandma Tracy asks.

"I changed Go to glow?" Virgil replies.

"No, Virgil, that." Grandma Tracys says and grabs the glow stick from Virgil, "I thought the EKG was shutting off all the power?" Willow whines as Grandma Tracy had it.

"EMF." Virgil tells her.

"And EKG measures the electrical signal from the heart to check for different heart conditions. Electrodes are placed on the chest to record the heart's electrical signals, which cause the heart to beat. The signals are shown as waves on an attached computer monitor or printer." Phoebe explains. Virgil looks at her.

"How did you know that?" Virgil asks.

"I told you, I have degrees. Scott and I met while I was studying emergency medicine as a nurse. Why do you think he fell in love with me? Scott is the emergency medic of the team." Phoebe explains to him, "EMF is different than an EKG machine."

"And actually, it shut down all electrical power." Virgil explains, "The light sticks in my tool belt run on a chemical reaction." His stomach growls and he gets embarrassed.

"Like the one going on in my stomach." Virgil explains.

"Can I have the glow stick, I don't like the dark." Willow states.

"Of course." Grandma Tracy states, passing it over, "I think I brought one of my cookies."

"Oh, no, I'm not really that hungry." Virgil says before quickly changing the subject, "Would you look at this place? It's like we've gone back in time. You know, the dark ages, right?" He chuckles nervously. Phoebe and the girls look at him.