Chapter 21

Saliha's first day was primarily sitting at the reference desk, helping people using the library computers with technical issues, referring books to them, helping them find the books they were looking for, and answering any reference and research questions. 

Her day was going by smoothly until at one point, an elderly lady approached her, claiming that she needed assistance in finding a particular book. Her request was curt and unmanneredly, which did not bother Saliha too much; she would point to the section the book was in, write the aisle number, hand it to the lady, and the two would be off their separate ways, never to bump their heads ever again.

How wrong was she to believe that!

Saliha expected the elderly lady to comprehend her message clearly but instead frowned at the post-it, scratched her head, and said in a rather brusque manner, "I don't get it, can you show me physically where this book is?"

Saliha could only hold back her displeasure and give the woman a phony smile. "Sure, right this way." Saliha traipsed down the hallway and entered the section containing fiction books, with the lady trailing behind her.

"Wait, slow down!" she reprimanded, causing disturbed glances from other individuals at the library.

Again, Saliha held back from rolling her eyes and displayed a fake cheery look to the woman following her. Saliha walked steadier, making sure that she was catching up with her every step. Once they reached the aisle, Saliha pointed to a shelf and said, "The book should be in this shelf."

Saliha was about to scurry away when the lady stopped her with a raise of a hand and said sternly, "I said show me."

Saliha had memorized the book's title and author by now, so she was able to find the book effortlessly. She handed it to the rude woman, unable to face her aggressive and piercing eyes. "Here we go. Have a nice day."

Saliha stormed away and drew closer to her desk again, having enough with the nonsensical and impudent lady. A woman that age should know by now how to navigate a library, thought Saliha. 

Flopping onto her seat, she resumed working on her computer, instantly feeling alleviated from the stressful situation. As soon as she noticed the woman pacing herself towards the reference desk again, Saliha froze, bracing herself to whatever else she had to complain and yell about next. 

To her surprise, the old lady passed the reference desk and dawdled further towards the checkout table. What was more appeasing to Saliha was the fact that she did not bother giving her a nasty glare or further rude comments.

Or so she thought.

Saliha's ears were indeed invited to the lady's displeasing tone as it echoed down the hallway: "I wish better people worked here."

When at last the old woman left the library, a relieved sigh escaped Saliha's mouth.

Cynthia, who worked alongside Saliha at the reception desk, caressed her shoulder lightly. "Don't mind her", she vocalized with a sympathetic and kind tone, "she probably just had a bad day." Cynthia let go of Saliha and crossed her arms, staring blankly ahead at the entryway. "There's going to be people like that time-to-time. I'm sorry you had to face one on your first day."

Saliha gave a genuine smile as she turned to face her coworker's deep, black eyes. "Thank you, Cynthia."

Cynthia returned the smile and went back to work.

After lunch break, Saliha was trained for cataloging work and was left on her own for a little while. 

Fatigue overthrew Saliha as she cataloged the several books that was required of her. She was deep in thought until she overheard her coworker, Luis, speak with another man. It was awfully distracting because the two men were merely a few feet from her.