Prologue

From taking down HYDRA to waking up 70 years later, then fighting gods and aliens Steve and Bucky have seen it all. Most of these they were prepared for, but something neither of the two could prepare for was the tragedy that occurred on January 10th, 1945. Leaving both soldiers with a broken heart, wondering what would've happened if they hadn't been selected for the serum.

No one said moving on would be easy, but waking up years later means that times have changed, making it even harder as everything you once knew has become something of the very distant past. With technology and the internet to help, both Bucky and Steve were able to catch up on what they had missed.

______________________

2014, The Smithsonian, Washington D.C

'Armani Sasha Rogers, younger sister to Steve Rogers and lover of James 'Bucky' Barnes, was an incredibly talented girl and was the only Howling commando to give her life in service for her country when she fell from a train in 1945. Armani, or 'Marni' Rogers, was the first woman to help lead America to victory, she was commander of the 107th.' Steve and Bucky stood side by side in the Smithsonian, faces hidden by baseball caps to avoid detection, listening to the tannoy while they stared at the plaque that held Marni's face, almost as if they were analysing it for any imperfections.

'Battle-tested, Captain and Lieutenant America, joined by Marni Rogers and the Howling commandos, quickly earned their stripes. Their mission - taking down HYDRA, the Nazi rouge science division.' It had been nearly 70 years since her death, yet for both soldiers, it felt much more recent, seeing as they were in the ice for most of that time. Both Steve and Bucky's hearts ached as memories of their time with Marni flashed through their minds. Parts of them hoped that this was a nightmare and none of it was real.

Sitting at the back of a theatre, both boys watched as an older Peggy was being interviewed. 'That was a difficult winter...' Peggy began, Steve's heart not only aching for his younger sister but also his first love.

'...A blizzard trapped most of our battalion behind the German line. Steve...' Peggy cleared her throat to correct herself' Captain Rogers and Lieutenant Barnes fought through a HYDRA blockade that had pinned down our allies for months. They saved over a thousand men that day, including the man who would become my husband. Even after they died, both were still changing my life.' Bucky looked over at Steve apologetically as he saw the man look down at the compass, which he was surprised survived after being on the ice for so long.

With a heavy heart, a small tight-lipped smile appeared on Bucky's face. "Go see her Steve," he whispered, not wanting him to leave as he provided comfort.

"You sure?" Steve questioned. With a slight nod of his head, Bucky teased, "Can't leave her waiting any longer can you." Remembering the promise his friend had made before going onto the ice.

Once Steve had left to visit Peggy, the lone soldier continued to look around the Smithsonian. Only interested in the section that either mentioned Marni or was dedicated to her entirely. As he was walking from section to section, he felt eyes on him, so turned to see a young boy staring at him in shock. To keep avoiding detection, Bucky raised his finger to his lips to indicate to the boy to stay quiet.

______________________

2014, Care home, Washington D.C.

Steve now sat next to a much older-looking Peggy Carter, who had white silvery hair and wrinkles showing her age as she lay in her bed. Taking a photo off the bedside table to look at, Steve stated, "You should be proud of yourself, Peggy." As if agreeing with him, Peggy hummed a response, "Mm. I have lived a life; my only regret is that you and James didn't get to live yours."

Trying to hide the emotion on his face, Steve looks at Peggy. "What is it?" She asked, seeing right through the man. "For as long as I can remember, I just wanted to do what was right. I guess I don't know what that is anymore. And I thought I was able to throw myself back in and follow orders and serve. It's not the same."

Peggy chuckled, knowing that Steve had always been one for dramatics and commented on it," Always so dramatic."

Placing the picture back on the table, Steve got up to leave when Peggy loosely held his hand, stopping him. "Next time, bring James, I would like to see him again." She whispered. Taking her hand back, Peggy looked up at Steve, and he subtly nodded, confirming that next time he would bring his oldest friend.

______________________

2014, Apartment complex, Washington D.C

Walking up the staircase to his shared apartment, Steve could hear quiet voices conversing. As he appeared at the top, he saw it was Bucky and Kate, their neighbour. "If you want, you're more than welcome to use our machine. It might be cheaper than the one in the basement." Bucky said, seeing Steve round the corner at the top of the stairs.

"Yeah? What's it cost?" Kate asked not yet noticing the blonde super soldier.

"He'll buy you a cup of coffee," he continued, knowing his friend still had trouble speaking to women. " He will?" She quizzed, with scepticism in her voice. "Yeah...I will." Steve stated, confused, looking at his friend whose face held a smirk.

"Thank you, but um...I already have a load downstairs, and you don't want my scrubs in your machine. I just finished orientation in the infectious diseases ward, so."

Raising his arms, a little, Steve spoke. "Ah, well, I'll keep my distance." Just as Bucky had got to the door to find the key, Kate replied to Steve, "Hopefully not too far." The man turned to join his friend at his door assuming Kate had started walking down the stairs to the basement, they heard her voice one last time. "Oh, and I think you guys left your stereo on."

Thanking her, both men waited for her to leave before they looked at each other with confusion etched onto their faces. Neither of them had even used that stereo, meaning that someone had broken into the apartment - whether they had left was another story.

Cautiously, the men entered through a window, Bucky followed Steve as he skulked around the room, picking up their shields in case the person was still there. When they turned the corner, their eyes met a familiar figure as they peered around the corner, making them lower their shields slightly as they relaxed a little bit.

______________________

A/n

The ending of this will be continued in the later part of this story, I hope you have liked the prologue. Please feel free to vote, follow and give feedback in the comments as I am a first-time writer and would love to hear your views on the story.

This story will be based mainly on Captain America: The Winter Soldier but the first few parts will be based back in the 40s to show the relationship the three have.💕

Word count: 1188