The Tragedy in '45

January 1945, The Alps, Austria

As nightfall approached, eight soldiers, including Steve, Bucky, and Marni, ascended a mountain to observe a train. Marni donned simple boots and a jacket too big for her, as it belonged to Steve post-serum, and stood between the super soldiers.

At the mountain's summit, they awaited confirmation of Dr. Zola's presence on the train. While overlooking the zipline, Marni reminisced about their pre-war amusement park ride on the Cyclone.

"This is payback, isn't it?" She asked as she turned back to face them." From when I made you ride the cyclone," she said.

Looking at each other, the boys smirked: "Why would we do that?" Bucky asked. Confirming Zola's location, Steve, Bucky, Marni, and another comrade prepared to ride the zipline. One soldier adjusted a radio box and relayed the information about Zola being on the train. Steve, gripping his hanger, shouted a warning to them. "We've got a 10-second window. You miss that. We're bugs on a windshield." Jokes ensued, and the four rode the zipline down to the train, ready for the mission ahead.

______________________

Landing on the train, Marni wobbled while trying to find her balance. She followed the boys along the train and down to an opening where they could get in. Steve opened the door and moved in - Marni and Bucky followed him while the other guy stayed on the roof - his gun ready.

Steve, Bucky, and Marni found themselves in a stocked carriage. Marni held her machine gun in position in case anyone came at them that needed eliminating. The three of them manoeuvred slowly down the moving room, looking for any movement as they did.

Steve nodded his head to the small doorway to the next carriage towards Bucky and Marni - he strolled through with ease, Bucky behind him. But just as Marni was about to follow, the doorway shut with a thud, making her stumble back.

Marni's head shot up in shock when she heard the movement from in front of her. Ignoring Bucky and Steve banging on the door, she twisted her body around, beginning to shoot the intruder. She could see one, maybe two HYDRA soldiers on the other side of the room - while avoiding getting shot, she moved behind one of the bulletproof boxes.

Marni crouched behind the boxes, dodging incoming bullets as she shifted positions to find a better angle to target the assailants. When her machine gun ran out of bullets, she threw it on the floor next to her in frustration. "Damn it," she swore, retrieving her handgun from her thigh holster and preparing to fire. Just as she turned back around after firing another round, she realized her handgun was also empty.

The door next to the compartment suddenly opened, startling her. She noticed Steve and Bucky standing there, out of the line of fire. Bucky took out his own handgun and threw it to Marni, who gave him a relieved smile.

Steve moved around the corner and charged into one of the overhead boxes, his shield in front of him. The force caused the box to slide quickly towards the shooter's head, forcing him out of his hiding spot. Marni aimed her gun in that direction and took the shot, causing the assailant to fall dead. It seemed there was only one attacker armed with two guns.

Marni walked over to Bucky and Steve, glancing between them. "I had him on the ropes," she panted, letting a small smile reach her lips, thinking the danger was over for now.

"I'm sure you did Marni," Bucky teased. 

Hearing a whirring coming from behind, each of them turned towards the noise just as the shot was taken - Marni was pushed aside by her brother when the blast came toward them. The sharp blue flash bounced off Steve's shield and smashed into the side of the train carriage, and Marni was thrown back by the blast, landing near Steve's shield while they were hurled into the other side, denting the inner walls of the moving box.