Coming to Terms

January 1945, The Stork Club, England

Sitting in the bombed-down bar, Steve and Bucky were drowning their sorrows in alcohol - even though they couldn't get drunk, thinking about what could have been. Remembering what Erskine told them when they were chosen for Project Rebirth.

Hearing someone walk into the room behind them, the men twisted in their chairs to face them. Picking up the bottle of alcohol to refill his glass, Steve spoke," Dr. Erskine said that the serum wouldn't just affect our muscles, it would affect our cells. It created a protective system of regeneration and healing. Which means we can't get drunk." Tilting his head, a little to face Peggy, he asked." Did you know that?"

Taking an over-turned chair from in front of the bar, Peggy placed it on the opposite side of the table to the men. She sat down as she replied." Your metabolism burns four times faster than the average human. He thought it could be a potential side effect," staring at the bottle before looking down at his lap, Steve stayed quiet.

"It wasn't your fault," Peggy told them.

"Did you read the report?" Bucky questioned, and she responded immediately with a 'yes.'

"Then you know that's not true." He said with a slight shake of his head, grieving, wondering what would have happened if neither of them had taken the serum and just stayed friends.

"You did everything you could." She told the soldiers, staring at them, while also silently grieving for she too loved Armani Rogers." Did you believe in your sister?" She asked. The men's eyes flashed up, listening to what she was saying." Did you respect her? Then stop blaming yourself. Allow Marni the dignity of her choice. She damn well must have thought you two were worth it."

"We're going after Schmidt," Bucky said, pausing to swallow the lump in his throat, thinking about the sacrifice his love had made." We're not stopping until all of HYDRA is either dead or captured."

______________________

February 1945, HYDRA base, Switzerland

Amidst the chaos and confrontation with HYDRA, Steve and Bucky took risks to buy time for their team. They orchestrated their capture, leading them straight to Schmidt. The confrontation was intense, a brief exchange transpiring before the Howling Commandos stormed in, shattering the windows and initiating a fierce firefight

Following Schmidt's escape, the pursuit continued a relentless chase through the HYDRA base. As they reached the Valkyrie - an advanced aircraft, the realization dawned that catching Schmidt on foot was futile. A fleeting moment of despair enveloped them until Colonel Philips and Peggy arrived in a car, providing a new opportunity.

As the Valkyrie accelerated, the car raced alongside it. Bucky urged the Colonel to "Keep it steady," ready for a daring leap onto the aircraft. However, Peggy intervened with a poignant "Wait." In a surprising turn, she pulled Steve close, capturing a moment between them with a kiss. The gesture carried unspoken emotions, a poignant connection amidst the urgency of their mission.

______________________

February 1945, Schmidt's Valkyrie, Switzerland

Steve and Bucky entered the Valkyrie through the wheel well, to evade detection by Schmidt. Upon entering the aircraft, they discovered the ominous payload of Zeppelin bombs targeting various American cities.

Seizing the opportunity to confront HYDRA agents, the soldiers initiated a fierce battle. As the agents ran across the bridge, Steve and Bucky strategically positioned themselves on top of one of the bombs, awaiting the right moment to strike.