Lifechanging Decision

November 1943, Azzano, Italy

Having adjusted to the serum, both men sat next to each other behind the stage, which they had just performed on, one drawing and the other watching him, wondering what he was doing with his life. Footsteps approached from behind, and turning around, Peggy stood before them. "Hello, boys."

Putting down his drawing, Steve gave her his full attention. "Hi." Bucky nodded before asking, "What are you doing here?" Peggy laughed. "Officially, I'm not here." Knowing the men were brooding, she continued, "That was quite a performance."

Shaking their heads and chuckling, both men agreed. "Yeah," Bucky spoke, but Peggy's eyes never moved from his friend. Giving her an explanation, the brunette continued, "We had to improvise a little bit."

"The crowds we're used to are more...12," Steve said, almost embarrassed that this was what he was destined for. "I understand you're both 'America's new hope,'" Peggy stated, trying to boost their moods.

"Bond sales take a 10% bump in every state we visit," Steve mentioned, turning away from her, his voice quiet. "Is that Senator Brandt I hear?" The woman questioned, making sure she wasn't mistaken. "At least he has us doing this," Bucky spoke, silently thanking him even if he didn't enjoy it. "Phillips would've stuck us in a lab." Steve agreed, knowing he didn't want them fighting.

Sensing their disappointment, she spoke up. "And these are your only options?" Going back to pick up his drawing, Steve thought of his sister, who was doing what he dreamed of - fighting on the front line but stopped when Peggy spoke again. "Lab rats or dancing monkeys."

Giving both men more hope, she told them, "You're meant for more than this, you know." Both men stayed silent and turned away from her. "What?" She asked after a short silence. Steve answered for both. "For the longest time, I dreamed about going overseas and being on the front lines, serving my country. I finally got everything I wanted, and I'm wearing tights."

Turning around as they heard a medical van come in, Bucky, after being quiet for some time, conveyed. "They look like they've been through hell." Watching as men were being unloaded, Peggy gave them more information. "Schmidt sent out a force to Azzano. Two hundred men went up against him, and less than 50 returned." Taking a breath before she spoke again, both men kept their gaze on her. "Your audience contained what's of the 107th."

Snapping their heads up in realization, both boys stayed quiet as she finished, silently hoping that the girl they both loved was okay. "The rest were either killed or captured," she finished. Horrified by what could have happened, Bucky voiced, "The 107th," looking confused, she tilted her head a little, "What." Dropping everything they were doing, both men looked at each other, thinking the same thing, then getting up and running. "Come on," Steve yelled, turning around to find Peggy following them.

______________________

Walking underneath the shelter, they approached Colonel Phillips. "Colonel Phillips," Bucky said as he entered. Lifting his head from his work, Phillips replied, "Well, if it isn't America's finest. What's your plan today?" Steve spoke with a no-nonsense tone, "We need the casualty list from Azzano."

"You don't get to give me orders, son," the Colonel responded stoically. "We just need one name, Commander Armani Rogers from the 107th," Bucky almost pleaded. Ignoring them, Phillips pointed his pen at Peggy, "You and I are going to have a conversation later that you won't like."

Not believing his sister could be dead, Steve spoke, "Please tell us if she's alive, sir. R-O-G..." Phillips cut him off, "I can spell. I've signed more of these condolence letters today than I wish to count. The name sounds vaguely familiar. I'm sorry." As Phillips spoke, all three walked closer to hear him better. "What about the others? Are you going to plan a rescue mission?" Bucky asked.

"Yes, it's called 'winning the war,'" Phillips said.

"But if you know where they are, why don't you at least... " Steve started. Phillips interrupted, "They're 30 miles behind the lines through some of the most heavily fortified territory in Europe. We'd lose more men than we'd be able to save. But I don't expect you to understand that because you're chorus girls."

______________________

Bucky and Steve went to the tent, both frantically packing, willing to do whatever it took to rescue everyone. "What do you two plan to do, walk to Austria?" Peggy practically shouted after running into the tent. "If that's what we need to do," Bucky spoke. Not having high hopes, Peggy reiterated what the Colonel had told them. "You heard the Colonel. Your sister is most likely dead."

Being optimistic, Steve responded, "You don't know that." Putting on his leather jacket quickly, Steve got ready to leave, not before Peggy told them, "Even so, he's devising a strategy. If he detects..." Picking up their bags, the men started to walk out of the tent. "By the time he's done that, it could be too late," Bucky spoke from behind Steve.

"Boys," Peggy said, following behind them. They loaded everything into the back of a truck.

"You told us you thought we were meant for more than this. Did you mean that?" Steve asked as Bucky got in the truck. Gazing at Steve longer than necessary, she replied, "Every word."

"Then you got to let us go." Getting in the driver's seat, Peggy moved, standing beside them. "I can do more than that."

______________________

In a helicopter, accompanied by Peggy and Howard, Steve and Bucky adjusted their uniforms, listening to the information Peggy was relaying. "The HYDRA camp is in Krausberg, tucked between two mountain ranges. It's a kind of factory." Wanting to be acknowledged, Howard had to tell them, "We should be able to drop you right at the doorstep."

"Just get us as close as you can," Bucky told him, wanting this to be over with so he could return with Marni to safety.

Still adjusting his uniform, Steve made sure they knew something. "You two will be in trouble when you land." Starting a small argument between Peggy spoke, "And you won't be." Replying almost immediately, Bucky joined in their petty argument, "Where we're going, anybody yells at us, we can just shoot them." Looking to face the soldiers, Peggy spoke, "They will undoubtedly shoot back."

After Howard had made the situation weird, Peggy ignored Steve's question. "These are your transponders. Activate them when you're ready. The signal will lead us straight to you." Sceptical of the object, Bucky questioned, "Are you sure these things will work?" Providing little comfort to the two men, Howard spoke, "They've been tested on more than you two, pal."

Now they had been detected by HYDRA, agents began to shoot at them, picking up their shields. The men went to the door and opened it. "Get back here! We're taking you in!" Peggy exclaimed, looking out the door. Steve assessed the situation before replying, "As soon as we're clear, you turn this thing around and get out of here!"

"You can't give me orders!" She shouted, still looking out the door. Steve responded with the same tone in his voice. "The hell I can't! I'm a Captain!" Turning to look at her before he finished, putting the goggles on his face, he jumped out of the plane, followed by Bucky, their parachutes opening not long after their jump from the helicopter, Peggy watched them.

______________________

A/n

The next part is a continuation of this one. Once again I hope you have enjoyed this part, I know it is short, but the next part may be longer. I would love to hear what you think and if you feel like it you can vote.

I hope you like this story so far, please leave feedback in the comments, I would like to know what you think and how I can make the story better.💕

Word count: 1306