The Interrogation

2014, The Triskelion, SHIELD headquarters, Washington D.C

Heading back to SHIELD, Steve and Bucky walked side by side through the building on their way to see Alexander Pierce, the secretary of the organization and one of the governors of the world. Changing from their casual attire to their suits when they arrived, Fury's message floated around in their heads.

Turning the corner, the two saw 'Kate' or Sharon Carter standing near a man who looked to be in his late 50s with combed-back brown hair and thick, black-rimmed glasses. He held a disposable coffee cup in his hand, taking a small sip as Agent Carter turned away from him, noticing Steve and Bucky coming her way. 

She walked down the way the men were coming from, hands held together as she tried to hide the disappointment that neither was pleased to see her - hurting Steve more than Bucky as she was beginning to like the woman. Sharon wore the type of clothing other agents would wear, letting out a small smile as she walked past them. "Captain Rogers, Lieutenant Barnes."

"Neighbour," Steve said with no emotion, looking forward, not bothering to glance at her, Bucky staying silent, not answering her either. They felt her gaze from behind for a moment before it was gone, taps of her small heels going round the corner they came from. Finally, they approached the man who wanted to talk to them, the reason they left the hospital early and had to hide the flash drive Fury had given them before he went unconscious.

"Ah, Captain. Lieutenant." Pierce exclaimed; a smile evident on his face as the heroes walked up to him." I'm Alexander Pierce." Holding out his hand for them to shake, which they did, ignoring the feeling in their gut to tell them not to trust the man, something in his eyes they couldn't get a grip on, a secret of some sort.

"Sir," Steve spoke for both him and Bucky," It's an honour," shaking away the uneasy feeling he had by simply looking at the man. Pierce nodded, a smile still on his face" The honour is mine Captain. To the both of you." Leading the men towards his office.

"My father served in the 101st. Come on in." He gestured to the room, walking in himself, the following, closing the door behind them.

______________________

Locking their gaze on the several pictures Pierce had given them, they listened as he told them about Fury, the pictures going along with the story he'd had in his head for a long time. "That photo was taken five years after Nick and I met," Alexander explained as they still looked at the photo in their hands, "When I was at the State Department in Bogota."

Strolling around the room slowly towards his desk, placing his blazer around the desk chair before straightening his back again, he willingly continued the narrative. "ELN rebels took the embassy, security got me out, but the rebels took hostages. Nick was deputy chief for the SHIELD station there. And he came to me with a plan," pausing as he looked up and gathered the paperwork on his desk. "He wanted to storm the building through the sewers. I said, no, we'll negotiate. Turns out the ELN never negotiated, so instead, they put out a kill order."

He walked to Steve and Bucky, holding a folder for them to look at. "They stormed the basement, and what did they find? They find it empty." Slamming down the folder onto the table and sitting down on a chair, Bucky and Steve followed his example, keeping their eyes on the man. 

"Nick ignored my direct order and carried out an unauthorized military operation on foreign soil. He saved the lives of a dozen political officers, including my daughter." The soldiers couldn't help but feel impressed by the man, having done the same thing back in 1943 when they decided to rescue Marni.

"You gave him a promotion?" Bucky questioned, confused at how easily Fury had gotten such a job in the spur of a moment, an unauthorized mission. However, it wasn't a surprise since he and Steve had done the same after the rescue, hanging up their talent shoes to build a team.