Revealing Truths

2014, Apartment complex, Washington D.C

As Steve pulled up to his apartment complex, he noticed Bucky's bike there, indicating his friend was back from the Smithsonian. Steve parked his motorcycle and headed toward the entrance of the building. Climbing the staircase, he overheard quiet voices and, upon reaching the top, found Bucky engaged in conversation with Kate, their neighbour, who held a laundry basket.

Bucky offered, "If you want, you can use our machine. Might be cheaper than the one in the basement."

"Oh, yeah? What's it cost?" Kate asked, not yet noticing the blonde super soldier.  Seeing Steve rounding the corner, Bucky continued, tilting his head toward him. "He'll buy you a cup of coffee."

 "He will?" Kate queried; scepticism clear in her voice. 

"Yeah... I will," Steve stated, looking confused. Now aware of him, Kate questioned, "Thank you, but um...I already have a load downstairs, and you don't want my scrubs in your machine. I just finished orientation in the infectious diseases ward, so."

Steve raised his arms a little, saying, "Ah, well, I'll keep my distance." Steve moved away, joining Bucky at the door with the key. Kate replied, "Well, hopefully not too far." The men thanked her, assuming she was heading downstairs to the basement. However, they heard her voice one last time. "Oh, and I think you left your stereo on."

Both men exchanged confused glances before turning their ears toward the door. Faint music played inside. They hadn't used the stereo, implying someone had broken into the apartment. Cautiously, they entered through a window. Bucky followed Steve as he skulked around the room, picking up their shields and leaning against the wall in case the intruder was still present. Peering round the corner, Steve's eyes met a familiar figure lying on the couch, causing him to relax and prompting Bucky to lower his shield.

______________________

"I don't remember giving you a key," Steve said, glancing towards the floor while Bucky appeared behind him. Nick Fury winced a little as he sat up, drawing the attention of both men. "You think I'd need one?" Fury took the phone from the armrest, letting his arm hang down. "My wife," he started, leaning on his knees with his elbows, "She kicked me out."

Bucky raised a disbelieving eyebrow at the Director. "Your wife?" He quizzed, drawing out the statement as he tried to determine its authenticity. "One, you never said anything about having a wife in the first place. Two, who would marry you?" Though harsh, it was a sentiment shared by both soldiers. Bucky grunted slightly when he was elbowed in the gut by Steve. Rolling his eyes and clearing his throat, he moved around the corner to see Fury better.

Fury snorted, acknowledging the fair statement. "There's a lot of things you don't know about me," he cryptically informed the pair.

"We know, Nick," Steve spoke up, frustration evident in his voice at the lack of transparency from the man they had been working for since awakening from the iceberg a couple of years ago. "That's the problem," he stated, moving over to the lampshade and flicking the switch to bring light to the room.

Both men looked at Fury, their eyes widening as they saw the battered, bruised, and cut state of the man, realizing the extent of his injuries. When they had entered the room earlier, they had only recognized him by his silhouette. Nick raised his hand, signalling them to be quiet, and pulled the string switch on the lamp, casting the room back into darkness.

As the soldiers walked further into the room, Fury typed something into his phone, showing them a message: 'ears everywhere.' The men started looking around the room, their senses heightened. Fury continued speaking, "I'm sorry to have to do this," revealing another message on his phone: 'SHIELD compromised.' Bucky, playing along with the cover, asked, "Who else knows about your wife." The third message on the phone read, 'You two and me.' Fury then clarified, "Just - my friends."