The Meeting

As they laid in a hammock on the beach, Kate sleeping peacefully in his arms. Loki listened to the soft sound of her breathing, of the waves crashing against the shoreline. Bringing with it each time the salty scent in the air. Sea gulls squawking as they soared over the ocean hunting for their next meal. The warm tropical breeze kissing his cool skin. This is truly paradise he thought to himself. He thought back to the day that he saw her for the first time. He had never been so captivated by any human being, the way he was by her that day. Her beauty, the sound of her voice, her long brown hair and those blue eyes. Trying to remember that ridiculous midgardian phrase, "so blue you could swim in them". He found so many things about Midgard annoying. He found most of the people, the noise, the sometimes the smells all obtrusive.

She was working at his favorite street market selling something he had never seen before, something Midgardian's called "street corn". He found himself taken aback by her soft beauty, her gentle eyes and that smile. He had never seen such a warm smile like hers before.  He watched her assisting one customer after another that day. Her kindness, how attentive she was with each of them. For the first time in his entire millenniums of life, he understood what Midgardian's called, "Love at first sight".

Loki and Thor had lived on this realm for some time. Thor, living here to be closer to Jane. Loki thought to himself, what was it he called her? Ah yes, the love of his life. He found the whole idea of love preposterous. Love was an emotion that felt foreign to him and weak. Falling in love had to feel like being condemned, a distraction, being dependent upon a partner who could provide some kind so support that they needed. He needed no one, he never had. Loki lived here because Thor wanted to keep an eye on him. Loki found the intrusion into his life almost unbearable. He spent most of his days alone, practicing his magic. He hid this from Thor, it was the only thing that he had that Thor was unable to monitor. Each day before Thor left to go to, what he called his "day job", he would leave Loki a list of things to do to keep him occupied. Or so he thought, and Loki let him think this. However, the very idea of having daily "chores" like Midgardian parents give their children was abhorring, so by using his magic to complete this humiliating list it made it a bit more bearable.

Later that evening while he and Thor ate dinner, he found himself lost in thought. Thoughts of her. He decided that he must know her, must make her his own. These feelings he found himself feeling were foreign and familiar at the same time. They confused and excited him. Later that evening as he lay in his bed, sleep escaped him. Reading,  he thought, it always makes me sleepy at night. He picked up a book he had been reading from the side table. But reading proved futile as his mind wondered to the most enchanting human he had ever seen.

The next morning he went back to the market looking for her. And there she was, at the same stall selling the goods that the 2 other people that were in the stall with her were feverishly cooking. Slowly he approached the stand rehearsing everything he wanted to say to her during their initial meeting over and over in his head. Good day, Loki said. Good Morning, Kate cheerfully replied. Loki couldn't remember what he was going to say to her next. He stood there, mind completely blank with the warm pink shades of embarrassment beginning to form on his cool alabaster colored cheeks. May I help you with something she asked? Would you like to buy some of this delicious Mexican Street Corn we have? Loki had never heard of it before yesterday, much less eaten any. I'm afraid I don't know exactly what "Mexican Street Corn" is. Kate began to explain how it was made, grilled and then spread with a mixture of mayo, sour cream and sprinkled with something that was Nana Gracey's secret. No one ever knew, Kate never asked. But it sure sold a lot of corn. It made Loki's mouth water and he bought an ear and began to eat it. So what do you think, she asked? I think it's the most delectable thing I've tasted since I started living here, he replied. Oh, so you're not from Greenwich, she asked? No, Miss, I'm sorry I don't even know your name, he replied holding his breathe waiting to hear her angelic voice speak it into the air for the very first time. She stuck out her hand to shake his, Kate, Kate McKenzie, she replied. Ah, Lady Kate he replied, as before gently placing a soft kiss on Kate's knuckles. Her scent was intoxicating, it stirred something deep in his core. What is your name, she asked. I am Loki, Prince of Asgard. Standing in front of him, she could hardly breathe. This man standing in front of her, the one that literally took her breath away was no less than a Prince.