Chapter Nine

After collecting myself and getting up off the floor, I quietly made my way down the hallway to Josh's room. After giving the door a couple knocks, I let myself in, closing the door behind me as I saw him seated at his desk, writing.
"Hey. What's up?" He spoke, turning to me and sitting down his pen. "Noel? What's wrong?" His face became concerned as he actually took in my presence. I'm sure it was written all over my face that something was wrong and the fact that my body was shaking only added to it.
"What is this? What does it mean? What the fuck is going on?" I fired question after question at him as I held out my shaking arm for him to see. His eyebrows scrunched together as lines grew on his forehead, his eyes seemingly locked on to my arm.
"No." He whispered to himself, shaking his head. "He didn't. He can't." Josh was angry now as he stood to his feet.
"What's going on?" I asked. his reaction told me that he knew but why wasn't he answering my questions?
"You stay here." He barked before heading for his door.
"Josh! I need answers!" I snapped at him, following and ignoring his order. He stormed down the hall, going to the black office door that we all knew so well.
Three knocks and then he barged in.
"You are fucking unbelievable!" Josh growled, crossing the distance of the room and going straight to Chris's desk. Chris sat on the opposite side in his high back black leather chair that looked like it was built for some kind of god. Chris' attention shifted from his screen that he had been studying to Josh who now stood infront of his desk. "How dare you take away her fate." I had never seen Josh so pissed.
"Well good morning to you too. What are we going on about?" I noticed Chris' eyes shift to me before looking back at Josh. Almost as if to silently remind Josh that I was here. Although why did that matter? It made me think that maybe Chris didn't want me to know anything but I demanded answers.
"She wasn't meant for this! She had a fate, had a destiny!"
"All of that is always subject to change. You know that's how all of this goes. Afterall you strayed from your path. All it took was one decision, Josh."
"That was one I made for myself. She didn't make this! Stop shifting the blame! How could you do this?"
As Chris stood to his feet Josh leaned over the desk and placed both of his hands on Chris' chest, pushing him back in one quick motion.
"It would've happened on its own." Chris growled, his eyes growing dark. The same eyes that I had seen glowing red.
"You don't know that! She was meant for so much more!" Josh quickly went behind his desk and now facing Chris, sent a blow to his face. Chris had dodged it but not quick enough as it still struck the side of his face.
"That's enough!" Chris barked, grabbing  Josh's shoulders and shoving him back. But Josh was right back in Chris' face in a split moment. He sent hit after hit, the two men fighting each other as words were exchanged that I was still left out of before finally Chris slammed Josh down on the hardwood of the desk.
"We're done here." He growled, looking like he was ready to kill.
"I think I deserve answers. Both of you." I let out a growl of my own, unsure of where this sudden confidence and boldness came from.
A small smirk played on Chris' face which only pissed me off more. I just wanted to know what the hell was happening. The men looked at each other before looking back at me. I stood in the middle of the room, arms cross over my chest as I stared Chris down. I wasn't leaving without the answers that I deserved. "What the hell is going on?"
"Your fates been sealed." Chris spoke, sitting back down at his desk now that Josh was off of it.
"English. Tell me things that actually make sense because I'm so tired of your games and riddle- like bullshit." I grumbled.
"Easy kitten." Chris laughed. I raised an eyebrow at him as I tapped my foot, waiting on an answer that made sense.
"Not only will you serve me here, but you will serve the people as well... think of it as, well, being a queen of sorts."
"I don't want anything to do with the people around here. You can all go fuck yourselves."
"Well that's really a shame. Because it's already a done deal. Welcome to your kingdom." Chris joked, a smirk on his face. Two can play that game.
"Big mistake." I spoke plainly before gaining a smirk of my own. "I'll make sure this entire place goes up in flames so I can watch your people burn." The words I spoke sent a chill down my spine as my smirk grew wider without my intention. It sounded amazing and the mental image was beautiful.
Every single one of the sick twisted people I had met screaming as their flesh burned, making them suffer up untill their death. Everything burning until nothing stood anymore. Buildings becoming ashes, mixing with the ashes of the bodies. It was enticing.
"We'll see about that." His tone said that he knew more than he was letting on, but quite frankly, I didn't care anymore. The answer I had received was enough, and I now knew what I needed to do.
I wouldn't be trapped here for long.
I stormed out of the room, heading down the hall before I was pulled back by my arm.
"Noel." Josh breathed, turning me to face him. "Remember who you are. This isn't  you." His eyes looked hurt, and I reached up to rest my hand on his face. Even in my anger, I couldn't dare hurt him.
"This is our chance. Don't you want to put an end to all of this? We could be free.. we could get out of here."
"Noey, I need you to come back to me." As I stared into his eyes, the anger that I had felt moments ago seemed to melt away, untill I no longer felt that urge to destroy the place. The thought no longer made my body tingle. "You can't let him win. There's gotta be a way out of all of this. We just have to find it."
My body felt drained, and all I could manage was a nod of my head as I rested against the hallway wall. "I won't give up on you. I won't fail you again." He promised, his voice soft but shakey as he squeezed my hand. My angel. Forever, my angel.
His presence seemed to shift my mind into a calmer state, and he made me feel grounded. "I'll figure this out, I promise." He spoke before heading towards his room.
I watched as he disappeared into the doorway before heading to the opposite side of the hall and going into my own room to get a shower. I needed to think. I needed to breathe.

"That was some show you put on, kitten." His voice made my eyes shoot up to the door, taking in his appearance as he leaned against the doorframe to my room. A black t-shirt showed off his tattooed arms, and a pair of black jeans covered his bottom half. His hair was slicked back.
I didn't speak, I only stared at him. Waiting for him to tell me why he was bothering me so I could tell him where to go. He sighed, standing up straight and walking into the room as he closed my door behind him. "I didn't mean for you to find out that way. I had meant to talk to you about it before you ran off to Josh." He seemingly explained himself. Chris? Chris of all people was explaining himself? And to me at that? This place must've froze over.
"Listen, I didn't bring you here for anyone other than myself, and I can't have people thinking they have a chance at stealing you away. It's been causing too much of a mess, and apparently, you're too tempting.
Look, if anything, that mark is for your own protection. If anyone were to try anything with you again, they'll be claimed by the wraiths. So, you're welcome." He explained, sitting down on the edge of my bed as he linked his fingers together on his lap. But it seemed like a half assed explanation to me and I wasn't satisfied.
"Okay, and? What about the whole queen thing?" I asked, deciding to save the question I really wanted an answer to the most for last.
"Oh, that? I was serious. That mark links us. Remember the whole 'female counterpart' thing? Tag, you're it." He smirked.
"Sounds like you want to see this place in flames." I rolled my eyes.
"You wouldn't." He shook his head, leaning in close to me as he gripped my chin. "You'll be down at my feet soon enough, and that won't even cross your mind." His voice was low and smooth as it caused my body to get goosebumps. My mind went practically blank, losing all train of thought as my previous ideas left my head.
I found myself sitting still, looking up into his eyes as I got lost in them.
"Welcome to your throne." He whispered, his face so close to mine that I could feel his warm breath fan my face. "My queen." He closed the distance, his lips pressing to mine as he let go of my chin to move his hand to the side of face, cupping my jaw as our lips moved in sync. As if it was instinct, my body moved closer to his until we were touching, and  the arm that wasn't holding my face went around my waist.
In a swift movement, he had pushed me down on to my back as he hovered over me, my arms going around his neck as my fingers laced in his jet black hair.
It's like his lips on mine mattered more in that moment than air did. I needed nothing more to stay alive than this. As if I'd die without his touch.
"Oh Kitten." He mumbled against my lips, the corners of his pulling into a smirk.
What was this man doing to me?