Chapter Eleven

I stood in the hallway as hues of orange and red overtook everything, soon turning to shades of gray and black from the smoke.
Not being able to see much and not knowing the layout of the building sealed my fate. But I had known of the risk, and I was willing to do anything to get out of here. Even if it meant sacrificing myself.
My anxiety was still present, naturally. I mean, no one's mind and body was okay with knowing you were about to die in one of the most sufferable ways. I closed my eyes as I stood in the warmth that overtook the building. Maybe not being able to see it as it was happening would  make it all a little easier.
Yelling, screams, and chaos flooded into my ears as my eyes remained closed.
"What are you doing?! Don't just stand there. We gotta move!" I heard a male's panicking voice, but I tried to drown it out until my arm was being tugged on.
"You gotta move." He sounded desperate as I was pulled along.
And a small part of me wanted to live past this. Maybe this could all be the turning point, and I could finally go back home. Surely Chris was still asleep, right? He had to burn down with this place.
That thought made my stomach sick, and my heart hurt as it sent me into a spiral. If he was going to be a casualty to all of this, then I needed to be too. I couldn't stand the thought of moving on and living after being his cause of death.
I suddenly found the strength to pull myself out of the strangers grasp as I planted myself on the floor.
"What are you doing?! Noel!" I was shocked that the stranger knew my name, but after hearing another man's voice, I was picked up, off of the ground.
"Let me be! I have to go with him." My voice was strong and commanding, shocking even me as it came out of my own mouth.
My words were ignored as minutes later, I was hit with the cool air of the outdoors when I was sat on the hard concrete.
"Hey." I heard softly, as a hand was rested on my shoulder. "Open your eyes." It was like I was stuck in another dimension. I could hear the things going on around me and was aware, but my mind was somewhere else and couldn't bring myself to move even if I wanted to. I felt frozen. As my body was softly shook, I felt a hand gently tapping the side of my face.
It was like something snapped when I finally came back to. I was suddenly so angry as I opened my eyes, looking around at the destruction that stood in front of me. I could hear the same voice speaking to me as I saw him next to me out of the corner of my eye, but he blended into the background as my eyes were drawn to the wreckage. I had so much rage in me that I had been pulled out of it all, and I was aware that if Chris escaped this, then I was in for it. But I couldn't tell you which was worse; him making it or this being the end of him.
As I watched a tall figure come out of the smoke, I let out a breath I wasn't aware I had been holding. The heaviness left my body as he walked in my direction, covered in ash and looking furious.
"Why the fuck would you do this?!" He screamed as he stood infront of me. I stared at him blankly. What did he mean 'why?' He knew exactly why I did what I did. "Get up!" He growled, grabbing my arm and pulling me. As I got to my feet I shoved him back with both hands, standing my ground.
"Don't touch me." I growled.
"You've destroyed everything. You aren't getting away with this." Our bodies were inches apart as he balled his fists at his sides. Before he had a chance to do anything, we were being pushed apart as two men got in between us. One of them being the shorter, curly haired man who had drug me out of the building.
"She's done for. Fuck off." Chris tried pushing the other guy away from him, causing someone else to step in as well. They held him back as the shorter one stood protectively in front of me.
Were they really disobeying him to keep me safe? I wasn't sure why but that's what it seemed. I got a smirk on my face, watching Chris as he was kept from me.
"You'll wish your plan worked. But unfortunately for you, I can't burn. Nice try." His eyes narrowed at me, realising that for now he wasn't going to be able to touch me. He was growing frustrated with this as he continued to break past them.
"Wouldn't want anything to happen to the queen rignt?" I spoke sarcastically, using some of his words against him. "Welcome to your kingdom." I smiled after him, relaxing and knowing I was safe at the moment. Josh's voice was heard as it got closer to me.
"Noel! Oh for God's sake, No. Why? What have you done?"
"I'm not going to be a prisoner any longer. I'm sick of the bullshit and the games Josh. I'm fucking out of here." I turned to walk further away from the building before my arm was grabbed.
"There's no where for you to go. And even if there was you're not safe anywhere else. I know this isn't paradise, I know you don't want to be here. Do you think any of us do?
But Noel, this is the best we've got. And look around, it's not all that bad. These people would do anything to protect you now that you're a part of this world.
It's not perfect, we're not perfect. But it's a home and it's not the worst thing in the world." His eyes were gentle as his voice spoke softly. So he was suddenly on their side?
"Traitor." I rolled my eyes before narrowing them at him and breaking from his grasp.
A sigh was heard behind me before Chris' voice spoke. "Get her." I felt arms around my waist and Chris spoke again, this time closer. "Don't get cocky kitten."
A familiar hissing filled my ears as a pounding in my head made me feel dizzy. The arms around my waist caught me as I fell.

I woke up in bed with a pounding headache. I hadn't been sleeping well and the vivid dreams I was having were draining me.
As I opened my eyes and ran a hand through my hair ash fell onto the bed, making my breath catch. I surveyed the room, looking for any other signs, but everything looked perfect.
I was beyond confused as I sat up, pinching some of the ash in between my fingers. How was this even possible?
If I burned everything down than how was I in our bed? But if there was ash than it all had to have happened, right? My stomach twisted with an anxious feeling. There had been so many mind games lately that I questioned everything at this point. I never knew what was real from what wasn't.
Oh God. What the hell is going on? I got up and raced for the door, going straight down the hall and knocking before letting myself into a room. Once inside, I shut the door behind me and pressed my back to it.
"What the fuck is going on?" I breathed out, looking at the man infront of me as he sat in a chair with a book in his hands. His eyes held no clues, and neither did anything around us.
"What do you mean?"
"I don't understand. I mean I, I can't even tell what's real and what's in my head anymore.
Last time, I thought it was all a dream it wasn't. What happened before I went to sleep?"
"Noel, I think you should talk to Chris."
"No, no, I can't trust him. Josh, I need you to tell me everything that happened. Please, you're all I've got around here."
"Noel -" He started to sigh as I broke down, tears falling down my face in absolute terror. Either I was losing my mind being here, or something bigger was going on.
"Please."I cried. He was quick to get up and make his way over to me, wrapping his arms around me in a hug.
"Don't cry. Everything's okay." He soothed before hesitantly speaking his next words. "But it wasn't a dream." He confirmed.
"But how -"
"Chris has many gifts. No one, but he and I have any memory of what you did. Even yours was supposed to have been erased, but perhaps with you being his counterpart, then you have some kind of gift of your own. Calm down and we'll go see him."
"No. No, he's going to kill me." Surely he wasn't going to just let all of this go. And you couldn't say you didn't necessarily blame him.
"He can't hurt you." Josh mused, knowing something that I clearly didn't.
"C'mon. Let's go." He softly prompted me as he took my hand and pulled me along. We headed to Chris' office door and just like every other time before, Josh knocked a few times before letting us in.
No greetings were exchanged as Josh cut right to the point.
"She knows." Chris' brows furrowed as he looked up from his desk.
"Impossible. I took care of that."
"Well just like last time when you marked her she still has memories of the event."
"Noel." Chris' voice was flat. "Tell me everything you think you know."
I shakily summed up the events from what I had thought had been a dream, telling him everything I remembered
"How..?" He trailed off, looking from me to Josh. They were starting to make me feel like an absolute freak. His eyes darkened as he stood. "Why Noel?" He asked, his tone close to a growl as he walked over towards me. I remained quiet, not knowing how to answer.
"Why would you do that?!" He yelled, his tone powerful and furious. "Here I was gonna have to pretend like nothing ever happened and just hold it in but-" He cut himself off with a dark laugh. "You'll wish you never remembered." He reached out and grabbed me, a tight grip around my throat as the air was taken from my lungs right before I heard him hiss and suddenly let go.
"Fuck." He muttered, stepping back. "Goddamn it!" He yelled in frustration.
"You did this, Chris. You marked her." Josh smirked, watching as Chris stood in pain. "This is the mess that you've created."
"We're not finished here. You're not going to get away with this." He mumbled, narrowing his eyes at me as he returned back to his desk.
What the hell was going on?