Chapter Fourteen

Over the next week, we had stayed in. I wasn't scared to go back outside, but Chris just wanted me to focus on healing. But that left me with a lot of time to fill, and spending most of my time in his office with him, I found myself going through the shelves and shelves of records.
Days ago I had been so bored that I had practically begged Chris to give me something to do, that something ended up being organizing all of the books on the walls because he just hadn't had time. From there, I found the records and got wrapped up in the contents.
Every single person had at least a page of all of their information as well as to what they did to land them here.
"So what's mine say?" I had laughed, still going through the beginning of the alphabet and knowing I wouldn't personally come across mine any time soon.
"That you sat an entire kingdom on fire." He spoke flatly, focused on his computer screen.
"Why? I mean, I was already here before that."
"Yes but you weren't bound here until you became my counterpart, and that's not a list able reason..So the first thing you did that was worthy of you landing a spot here is what's on your file."
I went through pages and pages of information, seeing a lot of murderers with the name of their victims under their rap sheet. For the most part, their convictions were rape, murder, occasionally adultery or religious beliefs that fell against God.
"Hold on." I mumbled, my breath catching in my throat as my eyes fell on a certain page. "This one isn't right." I shook my head. "This can't be right." I mumbled, fighting back any tears that wanted to spill.
"What?" He tore his eyes away from his screen to look at me.
"This person's page isn't right. He was charged with an intented murder that never happened."
"The files are never wrong. It's actually impossible as the second they do the act, it goes into these. Whatever is on that page is the truth."
"My mom died in a car accident, Chris. She wasn't murdered."
"She did, yes. But it was a targeted accident. She was killed on purpose." My brows furrowed before I stood perfectly still, staring at him as he looked back at me.
And it was that exchange that really stuck in my brain and made me think in ways I normally wouldn't have.
I had his information. And I had the knowledge that as the queen, if I killed someone here, then it banished them forever.
I wanted revenge, and I wasn't going to settle until it was done.
I knew most of the city and most of the streets by now since Chris and I had spent so much time out and about before the hound had gotten me.
So after dinner that night I had told Chris I was taking his car and going out. Had this been months ago, it wouldn't have even been on the table, but with all of the changes him and I had gone through, there was a lot more trust between us.
I didn't get away without being asked where I was going and what I was doing, but I just gave him the excuse of needing air and being sick of being cooped up and I had the keys in my hand.
I drove through the streets, finding Nelal and slowing down to look at all of the house numbers. 754 Nelal. Bingo.
I was silent and stealthy as I went in through the front door, noting how stupid this fucker was since he had left the door unlocked.
I attacked before he realized I was there, but he didn't go down without a fight.
All that mattered was when I pulled the knife and cut across his throat, watching the blood pool out before catching my breath and leaving.
I left the knife in the car when I got home and parked in the garage before going in. Chris stood by the door, his arms over his chest.
"Noel, I'd like a word with you please." His tone was hard to read as he turned and I followed him up to his office. "You said you were going to get some fresh air, why would you lie to me?" He questioned after the door had closed behind us. I froze, wondering what he knew. "I know what you did, and I'm not mad that you did it. I'm mad that after what happened days ago that you would go somewhere unsafe on your own.
I'm even more mad that you would take a chance like that without telling me." So he wasn't mad that I had just killed someone?
"I didn't think you'd go for it, and it had to be done. I needed to do it."
"I hate to say that I understand the motive and your actions.
But that still doesn't explain why; one, you lied to me. Two, you went to do something like that alone and three, you risked getting hurt again."
"I'm sorry. I won't do it again. I just had to."
"I'm not exactly happy with you at the moment, but I understand.
I just need you to understand that you can't be worrying me like that. We're a team Noel. I can't let anything happen to you." He pulled me into a hug as he held my body to his. "You're not off the hook, but we'll deal with it later."
I was beyond shocked that this was his reaction to me killing someone. The whole thing felt like a mind fuck. But I had to remind myself of where I was and what kind of people surrounded me. Of course this was acceptable.
A loud knock was heard at the door, making me jump before the door slammed opened.
"Chris! What the fuck have you done? Youve created a fucking monster!" Josh yelled as he barged in, slamming the door behind him before freezing when he saw me.
"For once, I ask that you stay out of this one and leave it alone." Chris spoke calmly to him.
"No. No I wont." He shoved Chris, making Chris let go of me.
"You fucking ruined her! You turned her into a fucking monster!"
"Excuse me?!" I yelled back at Josh.
"Stay out of this Noel." Josh growled.
"No! Who the fuck do you think you are calling me a monster?" I hissed, closing the space between us until I was in his face.
"Get the fuck out of the way. I don't have much patience right now and this is between Chris and I."
"Make. Me." I stood my ground.
"What have you done?" Josh repeated, looking at Chris as he shook his head.
"Noel, this is not you." He spoke, putting a hand on my shoulder as he seemed to be trying to keep his cool. But I had lost mine the moment he called me a monster.
"You don't know me. Now get the fuck out of this office." I seethed.
"Noel, I got this." Chris' voice was calm as I felt an arm go around my waist, pulling me away from Josh.
"I'm not just going to stand here and let him call me a monster!" I yelled, fighting against Chris and when that didn't work, digging my nails into his arm which still was wrapped around me.
"Noel. Back down." He growled, moving to stand infront of me with a look that told me not to dare disobey him. But we were suppose to be equals right? Who the fuck was he to tell me what to do? The moment I opened my mouth to protest he quickly moved his arm to hold my arm in one, his hand pressed to my chest with the other. "Noel." His tone was a bit softened, but still told me that it wasn't wise to go through with whatever action I had planned to do next. My shoulders sunk as I kept quiet, and Chris turned to Josh.
"You know nothing of the situation, and I ask that you stay out of it." Chris' voice was calm and composed but still held authority.
"I won't. I can't. How could you?"
"She did that on her own will, I did nothing. Hell, I knew nothing until it was done. Don't blame me."
"Don't blame you? This is all your fault? This is the monster that you created all out of selfishness."
"Yeah, well. What can I say? I'm Satan after all. You think everything I've done to get here was for other's?" Chris laughed. "What's done is done Josh. And you won't speak a word to anyone else, got it? If they find out on their own than so be it. But I'll make sure it's the last thing you do if I hear you talking about all of this."
"So your queen burns down the kingdom before killing one of its people and you want to hide it from everyone? Nice call, Chris. Great fucking rulership."
"You were just on the opposite end of this fight weeks ago when it came to the fire. And now you want to turn it all? And I'm hiding nothing of the murder, people will find out. Its only a matter of time, and no one will question it. But having someone calling my queen a monster and spreading that throughout the place won't be tolerated. What happened to you fighting for her? I thought you loved her?"
"Apparently I don't know her anymore." He shook his head before turning on his heel and storming out. Chris let out a laugh as he shook his head.
"You should've let me at him." I spoke lowly, the anger piling up.
"Its not worth it, babe. He's just angry right now, he'll calm down and get over it. It would've just created a mess of regret for the both of you."
"I'd regret nothing. You heard his words."
"I'm sorry, my love. I'm sure he didn't mean it."
"Doesn't matter. He still said it." I spoke, giving no room for any excuses.
"You're almost more stubborn than myself." He mused as he wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed my forehead. "You gotta let it go, baby." His embrace brought me a comfort that helped to sooth me as his heartbeat relaxed my body. Minutes later I was almost back to normal. I just felt a bit of hurt and betrayal. Afterall Josh had always been on my side and suddenly he sees me as a monster? It wasn't like the man didn't deserve what I had done.
"I have to go talk to him." I sighed, starting to pull away from Chris but his arms kept me trapped against his body.
"Not right now. You both need to calm down. You can talk tomorrow but I promise you that nothing good will come from trying to sort this out right now."
A part of me knew he was right and so I didn't argue.
"Besides, you and I have things to sort out ourselves. You're mine for the night." I started to question what he was talking about before his words from earlier rang in my head.
I wasn't off the hook with him for lying. And I knew arguing or protesting would make it worse, so obediently I listened as we left the office and headed down the hall to our room.
What a world where you're punished for lying but not for murder.

Official soundtrack here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8iWQmrQVGcTGsNQREU_5yMiunLufoTeb&si=7Rq9mtZnzaRB3UKa