it doesn't matter

Mei gave a silent prayer before turning to her friend. Jia had an encouraging look on her face. "Okay, open on 1, ready?" She asked. Mei nodded. "3, 2, 1" Mei clicked her mouse. She didn't dare open her eyes. She heard a scream from Jia. That had to be good right? Mei slowly opened her eyes and read the email in front of her.

Dear Xiao Mei,
We are glad to announce that after careful consideration, we've decided to accept you to our company. You will be joining as the secretary for our director, the position you applied for. You may start on the 8th of November, at our branch in Central Beijing. Thank you for applying, and we hope to see you soon. If you have any queries, please feel free to email this address about them.
Thanks,
Jiang Jia, Head of admissions and HR

Jun ran into the room, his eyes widened in anticipation. "Did she get in?" He asked hurriedly. His sister nodded vigorously, making him hug Mei before jumping around with the other two girls.

***

Mei bid goodbye to her friends before stepping out of their house. After moving from her hometown, Jia and Jun offered to let her stay at the place their parents had gotten years ago. Mei didn't have to pay rent yet either — she just chipped in with the general expenses and chores. She'd promised to once she'd gotten her salary, even though Jia insisted otherwise; Mei wasn't a freeloader. She took a deep breath before walking out on to the sidewalk. It was her first day at work. Confidence is key, she repeated in her head. Mei walked with her head high, when suddenly, she felt a cold liquid around her, and a splash sound on top of her soaking hair. It took her a second to realise someone had just dumped something from the apartment above — and it had fallen right on to her. Mei sniffed her sleeve cautiously. It didn't really smell like anything, just slightly like... celery? Mei whipped her head up, to find a small child with a medium sized bowl. His mother leisurely strutted out onto the balcony. She apologised insincerely, not even coming down their stairs. Mei was filled with rage. She controlled it though, for the sake of her first impressions at work. She didn't want the director to think that she was short tempered, even though her temper seemed to flare faster over the last few years. She let out a loud sigh, before walking back to her own house.

Jun was tying his tie, getting ready for his own job. His eyes widened at her state, before he fell down laughing. Mei frowned. "How did you even get wet? And why do you smell like celery?" He asked, choked between laughs. Jia rushed out, hearing her brother cackle. Her eyes widened too, though she didn't laugh like he did.

"Oh my god, Mei! What on Earth? How-"
"Ugh, don't get me started. Some random child poured his mother's celery water on me from his balcony. She didn't even apologise well!" Mei said passionately, even flailing her arms. Jia sighed, before taking her bag and helping her to the shower. Mei tried to keep her good spirits, still trying to cling on to the gusto she started with. It was a good thing she decided to be extra early, because after a shower and a new outfit (along with more teases from Jun), Mei set out again.

Getting on the bus, she tapped her card like she always did. It let out multiple beeps. "What the-" she murmured to herself before trying again. The same thing happened. The bus driver looked irritated as she tried a third time. "Ma'am, your card doesn't have enough money. Just top it up and use the next bus." He said, waving his hand towards the exit. Mei sighed, was nothing going to go her way today? She apologised to him and the people behind her while getting out, walking to the sidewalk. She kicked a pebble in front as the bus took off, only to have it bounce right back at her ankle after hitting a pole. "Ow!" She cried, holding her ankle and hopping around of one foot, trying to balance herself. She picked up her phone from her bag and gasped — she was SO late. "Oh shit!" She said out loud. Instantly, she called a taxi and gave the driver the address, making sure to tell him to hurry.