XXXI- the boyfriend

The weekend had passed by in a blur and had done little to ease (Y/n)'s nerves by the time Monday morning rolled around. But as tempting as it was, she knew she couldn't hide in her bedroom forever. It was clear Simon wouldn't be leaving town any time soon, so she just had to put her debilitating fear of running into him aside and go on with her life.

Which was easier said than done. But (Y/n) took this as her next step towards healing from the invisible scars Simon had left her. If she could go out there knowing he was around and continue with her life, then she had won.

So in spite of the tight coil of anxiety in the pit of her stomach, (Y/n) left the safety of her home and ventured into the outside world to meet Aaron for their usual morning coffee.

Having a friend with her was reassuring, and knowing that she could count on Aaron to be there for her if things went south did wonders in taming her nerves. There were even moments she was able to forget about Simon.

That was until Aaron brought up the topic.

"How are you feeling?" He said, holding her gaze with his own. "With what happened last time, I mean. You don't have to tell me anything, of course. But if you want to talk about it, I'm here."

And as uncomfortable a question this was, (Y/n) couldn't blame Aaron for asking, as he had every right to be worried about her after what had happened.

So she mustered up a smile and answered as best she could, treading the line between being honest and not worrying him any further.

"I'm okay." She said, "Still a bit shaken up but I'll get over it."

Aaron's lips pursed in a thin line, his hold on his cup tightening. He didn't want to urge (Y/n) into talking about anything she didn't want to, but his frustration about not knowing what was bothering her was growing exponentially since what had happened with Simon the other day.

He wished she'd confide in him, even once. See him as someone she could lean on and trust. He knew he had fucked up at the start of their relationship and that it would take time for her to be completely comfortable around him. And he was willing to be patient and do everything in his power to make amends for how he had behaved with her in the past. But Aaron had discovered that when it came to (Y/n) he could only be so patient.

He was greedy.

No amount of her was ever enough. And to know that there was still so much he didn't know about her was eating away at his sanity.

He needed to know it all. The good and the bad. What made her happy, sad, angry, excited. What had been her happiest days and her saddest nights. What had been the most important events of her life.

He wanted to know what had triggered such a visceral reaction from her when she'd been faced with Simon. And more than anything, he wanted to know who Simon was.

But he couldn't, nor did he want to force the answers out of (Y/n). So Aaron focused on the comforting thought that she'd be his instead, and that when this happened, she would tell him everything he wanted to know. Every little detail of her existence. And when that happened, he would make sure to listen to every word.

Once again, Aaron didn't know if feeling so strongly about a person was normal, even in the name of love. But this time, Aaron didn't find himself caring.

(Y/n) and Aaron finally arrived at the studio, where Adam had been waiting for them, surprise flashing over his features at the sight of them together. He knew the two of them tended to be the first ones to arrive at the studio, but Aaron had never told him about them coming to the studio together.