Fire Vs. Ice

I stepped outside and breathed in the crisp, April air. Then I saw everyone lined up. Wait, what? It caught me so off guard that I jumped. Someone burst out laughing. Two someones, actually. Flare and Deegan were laughing their heads off as I walked to stand beside Autumn, in front of Aries, who was eyeing the boys with a look that read, now-isn't-the-time,-you-idiots. "Why do we have to use my yard?" I complain. "Because it's nice." Said Aries.

Our yard was of green and darker green stripes, like those fancy yards, and there was also a pool surrounded by fencing and lights that were tied around and between palm trees. There were also palm trees lined up in the front, and there was a pathway to a fancy carport, which was the girl's base. The boy's base was a newly placed tool shed. So yeah, I'd say it was nice, but not enough to ruin with whatever was going on.

"What are we doing?" I say. "You really don't know what's going on? This settles it all." Icicle said. "No, I don't know what's going on, and could someone please tell me instead of dodging the question?" I said a bit more stern than I intended it to come out. Finally, Julian said: "We're playing a game of War."

Aren't we a little old to play childish games?" I ask. Flare, Tamao, Aries, Spark, Deegan, and Julian was aligned in front of us. In our line was me, Icicle, Millie, Autumn, Caliente, and Clemetis. Even though I barely knew any of these people, we were all lined up in my yard. "Aren't we a little old to play childish games?" I ask. "Please, can we at least do this at someone else's house?" "Pfft," said Aries. "No. And besides... boys vs. girls never gets old."

Oh God.

"Before we get to huddling up and making plans, I'll explain how this works. So, the boys have a treasure chest, and the girls have one, too. There are three artifacts in each - a red flag, a yellow flag, and a green one. You have to make is safely to the other team's treasure chest to steal a flag.

"The first flag you would steal is the green one. Put the green flag in your treasure chest. Now, this green flag can be taken back. You must make sure that the green flag you stole does not get taken by the other team. If so, you can try how ever many times you need to get it back.

"The next flag you steal is the yellow one. This one can only be taken back once, so if the other team took it from you, you could take it back just once.

"Now, the last flag, the red one... You cannot take it back. If the other team manages to get a hold of your red flag and take it back to their treasure chest, that's game. Also, all team members of the losing team has to ask out a member on the other team. Everyone understand?" Said Aries as he finally finished the rules.

Utter silence.

"I'm taking that as a yes. Huddle up!" He called out. Both our teams huddled up. "Alright. Clemetis and Millie, stay here to guard the treasure chest. Also, I kinda wish we had that nerdy Espeon that Tamao likes on our team so she can predict the future and help us win... Anyway, me and Autumn will go to the backside and go through the backyard bamboo. Snowfall, you go through the bushes." Icicle says.

Everyone nods in agreement as both teams go to their base. "Ready, set... Go!" I hear someone announce.

I leap into the bushes nearby as Millie and Clemetis poise for battle. Autumn and Icicle dart behind the side of the house and into the bamboo forest in the backyard.

I make my way - stealthily, and gracefully - through the bushes. Which dang, that reminds me of how lucky we were to get this house. It's real nice. Anyway, I prowl through the shrubbery until I see something through the bushes. It's Deegan.

The Shiny Umbreon stands defensively in front of the treasure chest. I don't see anyone nearby - but that doesn't mean I can pounce out of the blue.

I wait to see if anyone else is there. Suddenly, I hear Autumn's Razor Leaf and Icicle's Freeze Dry bounce off the bamboo into the left side yard. Suddenly, a figure bolts out from the bushes and goes to the backyard for backup. Julian. I knew someone must've been hiding.