~19~

Jaemin couldn't believe his luck.

There was, in fact, an event at Jeong Jaehyun's university on August 13. A pretty big event, too. In truth, the biggest event of the university, where all the majors (musical theatre, dance, opera, etc.) were displayed in one big event for the community.

Jaehyun would have to be there, right?

Jaemin sent the online flyer to Jeno immediately. If there was anything he wanted to do for his birthday, it would be to see his Jaehyun-hyung in a performance. Any performance; any small glimpse of him in person, in action. His most beloved hyung ever.

Jeno saw the message and immediately knew where Jaemin was coming from, since he'd searched about Jaehyun online before and knew that this was his university. Jaemin wanted to see his hyung. Jeno didn't know all about the relationship with his family still, but it was definitely rough and unique. Well, if Jaemin was so excited to go to the event, why not take him? So he replied:

Ok, we're going :)

He sent to Jaemin who right away replied with a "heart spam" and a big long "tyyyyyyy(etc.) ilyyyyyy(etc.)". Jeno smiled to himself. He was getting good at making Jaemin happy, wasn't he.

- - - -

These days Jisungie was hanging around home, just acting sulky whenever Jaemin was around. But he was confused at the change in expression with Jaemin, since his hyung had been so upset about Jisung not staying for his birthday. Jaemin now seemed more pleasant than ever, didn't bring the subject of his birthday to Jisung anymore, and acted as if it was every normal day of their life before. Jisung didn't know whether to be scared or relieved, but he decided just to be relieved anyways, since Jaemin was in a good mood and that was relaxing. So now he didn't feel as bad for ditching him to go to Jeju.

It was a Monday that Jisung showed up at school again, because Chenle had been bugging him all weekend and he couldn't put up a façade about his parents any longer. He'd actually done his research and turned in a skimpy but finished report to Chenle who had overviewed it and given a thumbs-up back. Jisung was relieved. He hoped the project group wouldn't give him anything else.

He got to school and parted ways with his hyung. He slinked around his basically empty locker, waiting for the first class to start. He didn't like waiting in classrooms when he was early, because most of the time, a teacher would strike up a conversation with him. Jisung avoided teachers at all costs.

"Why good morning Jisung!"

Jisung turned to see the overenthusiastic chatbox Chenle walking towards him briskly down the hallway. "Oh um, hi," Jisung shyly answered and put up a small wave.

"You haven't been here for a while," Chenle commented. "Good research by the way. We'll be able to use it. So, how was your trip?"

"It was good," Jisung swallowed.

"That's nice. And now that you've had a good long break, we can jump right into a full, in-depth study on our project for the next few weeks," he announced excitedly.

"Uh actually-" Jisung started but then stopped himself.

"Hm? You were saying something?" Chenle caught.

"Uh..." Jisung rubbed the back of his neck. "I...I'll be gone next week," he said sheepishly.

"Again?" Chenle laughed. "Are you an undercover idol or something? I barely ever see you at school. Where will you be going?"

"Jeju, for a dance festival," Jisung replied shyly.

"Ohh, that's cool," Chenle looked impressed. "I didn't know you were into that. Are you good?"

"Pretty good," Jisung had to admit.

"Then you should show me some time," Chenle said with excitement, like always. Jisung just felt embarrassed. He'd never been asked about his interests at school.

Chenle laughed at the cute embarrassment on Jisung's face and then continued, "Well, we'll try to fit in as much as possible this week then. Thanks for telling me." Jisung nodded and the two headed for homeroom.

----

Jaemin was also heading to his homeroom around the same time. He passed a group of girls in the hallway who were whispering among themselves. He didn't really care what or who they were gossiping about except that he thought he heard the girl in the center say "Jaehyun-oppa" which made him turn his head suddenly in their direction. The girls spotted his reaction and stopped talking.

"Um...hi?" one of the girls blinked at Jaemin staring at them and the group fell into a fit of giggles.

"Hey," Jaemin replied hurriedly as he looked intently at the girl in the middle.

"What are you staring at," her friend challenged him before turning to the middle girl and snickering, "OMG does he have a crush on you, Jinae?"

Another ripple of giggles exploded and the girl Jinae answered in a loud whisper, "Girl, no. He's gay for Lee Jeno."

Jaemin felt heat creeping up his neck upon hearing the name of his crush but he ignored it. "Park Jinae," he said.

Jinae replied with a blink and "me?" pointing at herself since it wasn't just a joke, he actually wished to speak to her.

"Are you talking about...Jeong Jaehyun?"

Jaemin's unexpected question surprised her, since yes, she had in fact been talking about a certain Jeong Jaehyun. "...yes...?" she said like it was obvious.

"Jeong Jaehyun studying performing arts at a university?" Jaemin pressed.

Jinae side-eyed him with a suspicious glance as she repeated, "...yes? What, do you know him?"

"How do you know him," Jaemin ignored her question and implemented his own forcefully.

"He's my sister's boyfriend," Jinae said flatly and narrowed her eyes at Jaemin. Why the hell would he have so much interest in Jaehyun?

Jaemin's mouth dropped open. Out of all the school's in Korea, someone somewhat related to his Jaehyun-hyung attended Jaemin's school which was hours away from his hometown. "Since when?" he continued.

"Since a while ago? Like when my sister attends the same university as him?" Jinae said skeptically and added, "Why are you so interested in him? You know him too?"

Jaemin swallowed and started to say, "He's my hy-"

No.

Jaemin couldn't finish the word. As much as he wanted Jaehyun to be his hyung, he couldn't claim it. He didn't want to say anything if Jaehyun didn't agree. It made Jaemin anxious, whenever he thought that Jaehyun might have shared the same dislike for his former dongsaengs as his parents had.

However, Jinae had caught on. "Your what? Your hyung?!"

The pink-haired boy aggressively shook his head. "No. What are you talking about?"

"What are you talking about?"

As the tension between the two increased, Jaemin noticed the hallway was getting quieter and in his peripheral vision, could see all the students staring at him and Jinae. Why whenever Jaemin talked, the whole school had to listen in? Every. Single. Time?

"Nothing. Never mind, just forget it," he mumbled and put his chin down, grabbed tighter onto his backpack straps, and quickly walked down the hallway toward his classroom. He could feel the many eyes staring at him. Of course they were interested; it wasn't very common at all for Na Jaemin to be seen talking to a group of pretty girls.

As Jaemin left, he heard a different girl run up to Jinae and say worriedly, "Oh my goodness...Jinae, are you all right? Why were you talking to him?!"

"He came up to me first," Jinae whined and looked hurt, like Jaemin'd done something evil to her.

"He's so terrible," the other girl stressed and the group huddled together and started whispering again.

Jaemin rolled his eyes and huffed. Life with such a reputation was not easy.