~28~

Jaemin was on his way back home from his last morning client, planning to finish last packing touches for the weekend. He was overly excited but nervous as well to see his hyung after almost five years. They'd texted each other ever since the meeting with Jinae, but in-person was always better than mere texting. His heart felt warm finally knowing through the texts that his Jaehyun-hyung had never let go of him.

Jaemin only wished that Jisung could have come to. Jaehyun had asked about him, but as a performer himself, knew how important the dance festival would be to Jisung. Throughout the week after Jisung had learned of Jaemin's plans, Jaemin started pestering him again, wanting Jisung to now go to Seoul with him.

But now he couldn't do any more about it because Jisung was already on his way to Jeju. Oh well. Jaemin hoped his dongsaeng would do well at the competitions. Jaemin would instead focus on the positive aspects of a most special reunion and hanging out with Jeno.

So these were the thoughts swimming around in Jaemin's head as he waited for the elevator to ascend to his apartment floor.

When he got off and turned to his apartment door on the left, a balloon tied to a pink ribbon on the doorknob caught his attention.

The sight of it made Jaemin feel light and happy. Had it been Jeno?

He unlocked the door and stepped inside. His jaw dropped, seeing the silver and pink streamers lining the walls. He'd only been gone for four hours this morning; when had it been decorated?

Jaemin kicked off his shoes near the front door, and that's when he noticed Jisungie's black converse sneakers lined neatly against the wall.

"Jisungie?" he breathed, unbelieving. Hadn't he left for Jeju this morning?

Jaemin slowly walked through the room, admiring everything that had been set up. There were even roses in a glass vase, sitting on the table.

The crooked "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" letters taped on the wall were no doubt put up by Jisung's clumsy hand. Jaemin's face shined with pure happiness at his little brother's actions. Admittedly, he'd never thought Jisung was capable of doing something like this for him.

But where was Jisung himself?

Jaemin crept up to Jisung's slighted bedroom door and gently pushed it open, peeking his head inside, like he did when calling his brother up for school. "Jisungie~"

But Jisung apparently wasn't there. Maybe he was hiding? Maybe he was shy about doing something for hyung that he'd went somewhere else before Jaemin came back. But his shoes were clearly at the front door.

Jaemin turned to the closed bathroom door and tried the knob, but it was locked. He gave it a happy, rhythmic knock. "Jisungie, hyung is back. Did you decorate our home? I'm so happy."

No answer.

"Jisunggg don't be shy. Hyung is so touched." He knocked noisily and twisted the knob a few times. "Come on."

When dead silence ensued, Jaemin frowned and peeked through the tiny space below the door. What he saw was a mass of something—wait, was that Jisung lying on the ground?

Jaemin immediately went to the kitchen cabinet where he'd stored the bathroom key and came back quickly, struggling to unlock the bathroom door in his sudden frenzy. The door finally gave way but he couldn't open it completely because Jisung's long legs were in the way.

Jaemin's unknowing fear turned to cold emptiness at what he saw.

A syringe on the ground next to his dongsaeng's still body.

Jaemin bent down and shook Jisungie, who didn't stir at all. He grabbed his brother's arm and saw all the marks of all the needles that he'd inserted into his body. Jaemin's hands shook. How had he never realized this problem before?

A small bag on the ground held little bottles of unknown liquids. Jaemin's eyes filled with tears. He thought he'd been taking care of Jisung well enough. Apparently not.

He hated going to official places like the police station or the hospital, but Jaemin was no medical expert and he didn't know how bad the condition was. He'd only have to call 911 and think about the bills later.

He was about to get up and grab his phone from the dining table but then Jisung suddenly awoke and grasped his arm. "Hyung, don't go," he said hoarsely.

"Jisungie. I'm getting help," Jaemin replied as calm as possible.

"Don't go," Jisung pleaded, looking up at him pitifully. His puffy red eyes were glassy with coming tears. Jaemin had thought they were only a result of tiredness due to Jisung's terrible sleep schedule. No. He'd been using drugs.

"I'm just getting my phone baby. It's right over there," Jaemin said protested.

"Who're you calling?" Jisung's eyes grew wide.

"The hospital," Jaemin answered.

"Hyung please don't," Jisung begged. "You said..."

The rest of his words came out slurred and incoherent, an effect of the overdose he'd taken. Jaemin forcefully removed Jisung's hands and ran to get his phone. He dialed the number with shaky fingers.

Jisung vaguely heard his hyung speaking to someone over the phone. He was feeling an overwhelming, painful weight on his chest. He tried to get up but couldn't move his muscles. His mind felt unclear and he wanted to call out for his hyung who hadn't come back soon enough, but he couldn't move his lips.

In the short time, Jaemin came back next to Jisung, but he'd slipped back into unconsciousness. Jaemin, a very self-dependent person, mumbled prayers that were so foreign to his mouth. He felt useless, just sitting there waiting, because the expert had warned over the phone not to mess with the victim or his surroundings.

Jaemin sank down against the wall, head in his hands.

He felt like a failure.