2

SLIPPING THROUGH MY FINGERS

・゚TWO

THE group arrived at the house, her father unlocking the door and letting everyone inside. Cristina walked up the steps, looking over at the Hughes house, seeing Jack in the garage attempting to put something together. He looked up, sending her a wave. She waved back, continuing inside to put her things away. Since Jessica was basically another child in the Ivy family, she had her own room in the lake house. It was right beside Cristina's, across from Samantha's, all of them sharing a bathroom. Her parents bedroom was on the main floor, so the whole upstairs was their own.

" I'm going to see Ellen", Samantha said, excusing herself from her family. The two older girls put their things away, changing into jean shorts and tank tops before heading downstairs.

" Mom, want us to go grocery shopping?", Cristina asked. Her mother, Laurie, took her up on the offer and wrote her a list. Jessica and Cristina made their way to the car, being stopped by a voice.

" Leaving already?". Cristina didn't even have to look over to know who it was, seeing her ex boyfriend walking across the lawn. His hair was in his usual messy curls, a dark blue t shirt and black shorts complimenting his body.

" Groceries", Jessica replied. The boy hummed at them, " Did you wanna come?".

Cristina looked over at her best friend, Luke noticing. " Oh um, it's okay", he said, realizing how tense his ex girlfriend got suddenly.

" Come on, Lukey. You can pick a snack or two", Cristina said, her dark hair up in a claw clip. He just nodded, getting into the backseat, Jessica sending her  a wink over the top of the car before they got in. " So, how was your first year of university?",

Luke shrugged, " Alright. It'll be even better when you come this year", he said, looking at her through the mirror. " I mean, when you guys come, obviously".

Jessica looked at the girl with a, ' He's still in love with you', look. Cristina chuckled, " Obviously".

The trio walked around the store, getting everything on the list. Luke added a few bags of chips, to which Cristina complained about. " Come on, crissy, a few chips won't hurt",

Cristina felt butterflies in her stomach at the nickname, the girl shaking her head, " Easy for you to say".

Luke trailed behind, his mood dropping at her comment. Cristina constantly worried about her weight, and what she ate. Going to school together, Luke heard what people would say about her. It was an issue even in middle school, people calling Cristina the ' bigger' girl in their grade. Even though Luke was older, jokes travel fast among kids. In high school, one of his friends made the joke to their group, and after Luke was finished verbally abusing his friend, it was never mentioned again.

" Ok that's it", Jessica said, pushing the cart to the checkout lanes. Cristina and Luke walked side by side, the girl not even reaching his shoulder. She always forgot that he was now a 6'2 hockey player, while she was barely 5'6 and a very unathletic person compared to Luke.

" How was prom?", he asked, the girl shrugging.

" Alright, I had to go with Jason, since you know, you said you would go with me. Obviously that didn't happen", she said, getting aggressive with her words. " Sorry, that was uncalled for".

Luke shook his head, " No, you're right. I said I would go with you, I'm sorry I didn't".

" It's fine. We broke up so I didn't expect you to keep that promise", Cristina nodded, going to help Jessica and leaving Luke in his thoughts.

Even when he went to university, the amount he came home, he knew they would've worked out. But it was his fault, he ended it. And everyday after, he regretted it. Even though they kept in touch, it was the bare minimum. He barely knew about her senior year, or anything that happened in the last year. Luke was determined to make up the last year in the next two months, he just wasn't sure how he was gonna do it.