- - Chapter One - - part four

I watch them as they gather and sit around the bonfire with their parents. There's obvious tension between Kiri and Lo'ak, but Tuk and Neteyam are acting as if nothing happened.

"Your thoughts on newcomers" my sister asks, pulling my attention back to her. With a big plate in her hand, she is dividing food into equal parts for all of us "I think they've been good so far" I say to her as I take the bite.

"They seem lovely, but there is something about them" my mother comments, she spent the whole day with Neytiri, the mother of the family. She described her as fierce yet open minded and passionate. I had great time with their kids today too but I really don't know much about them to say anything other than 'yeah they're fine'. I wish to be better friends with them, all seem different in their way. But I still don't know much.

"The father" Amate signs, she raises her hand to point towards him but my father pulls her hand down in an instant "he's Toruk Makto" my father answers, her hand fighting my fathers but she can't win against him.

But Toruk Makto? Really?

We do have Toruk's here, they live with our banshees, but no one in this clan has been able to tame one. I would literally go right now and kiss that man's hands. He's like a living legend unfolding before my eyes.

I sit there in silence. Processing the fact that the rider of last shadow is our guest.

I throw one last glance at the family before the conversation starts again. The boy locking his eyes with mine before I looked away.

"About the patients. Are they all right" my father asks, and with a small nod Amate answers his question "they are all alive, it was a rough day but they will make it out all ok" my sister says, making our father feel at least bit better.

"We need to clear some things" my father breaths out. 

In a second I start to feel cold, so I put a hood over my head, but it isn't the weather making me feel that way but rather my father's words.

"Amate and I talked. The family is on their way to Awa'atlu so she wanted to join them. She wanted to visit her family since we don't know how long she has left" my mother places the hand over Amates shoulder, trying to be there for Amate but in reality my mother is the one who needs emotional support.

"But then I can not go with her, the clan needs spiritual leader" my sister speaks up. We all know where this is going. I will be the one accompanying Amate, just like I have been doing that every time.

"And that leads us to me. I will go, it's ok" I say but my father avoids my eye contact. Is he not happy with my answer. 

A sudden contact makes me look to my side, Amate's hand rest on my shoulder. A soft smile on her face as she thanks me. As long as my father is taking care of the island I guess I am not needed. And it wont hurt to be in a sunny weather for couple of days. All this wind is starting to get on my nerves at this point.

"We are not talking about short period of time Anahera" he says placing his plate on the ground.

"How long are we talking about then"

"I am not sure" a sight leaves his mouth "it's not safe here anymore"

"well if the humans are back, there is no place on this planet that can be seen as safe father" I tell him, slamming the plate on the ground beneath me. "you're not thinking about moving this clan, are you" I ask him

The lack of words is enough of an answer for me. I stand up and leave the bonfire, trying not to cause a scene.

The answer to such threat is to move away, to send their daughter on some other island until the issue is resolved. That is such nonsense. I always try to understand my father, and I do get it that in some way he has a need to protect me but what about Ni'al. If she's staying there is no way that I will leave her here.