Chapter Seven: Holidays

To Godric, Centaurus' overall message was a warning, and none of Godric's questions were answered. Was making Alexander a part of the Great Five the wrong decision? Hogwarts became more creative and magical than ever. Without Alexander, Hogwarts would not have had its first Quidditch match or have thousands of moving, talking, paintings hanging in the staircase. Also, it was because of Alexander that Godric and Salazar's lives were saved, and there was a magical view of the sky in the Great Hall. Surely Centaurus was talking about something else, but what? Godric put the thought aside and returned to reality.

Working was postponed due to the holidays, and workers were either packing up their belongings, or talking about future plans to do during the holidays. Even Timothy was busy wondering what it would be like going to spend some time with his family going to watch Bulgaria beat England in a game of Quidditch. Godric couldn't help feeling a little jealous. None of his plans were as exciting or adventurous as others.

On the morning of Christmas Eve, the castle was nearly empty of hundreds of workers. Large gray clouds blocked the sun. Godric walked in the staircase, seeing most of the workers had left already. Only a few workers remained, and Godric said an occasional "Good morning," to them whenever he saw them. He was about to pass under the swinging pendulum, when he saw Rowena strolling around.

"Rowena!" he piped in surprise, "You're awake!"

"Yes. I woke up last night, too tired to move. So I slept some more, and I feel much better," she said in a nice, calm voice. She sounded much healthier than two days ago.

"What are you doing outside of the hospital wing?" asked Godric.

"Oh, I decided to get some fresh air. The hospital wing is too stuffy for me," she answered.

"I understand," replied Godric, "Do you have any plans for the holidays?"

"Oh yes!" she exclaimed, her face glowing with excitement, "Salazar and I are going to a dragon arena to watch some dragons fight. Then we're going to go get some hot butterbeer, and perhaps go to the new muggle art museum. It's going to be splendid!"

"That's nice to hear," murmured Godric, loud enough so Rowena heard him.

"Godric, do you have any festive plans for the holidays?" asked Rowena, walking to have a look outside.

"No, not really. Probably just going to stay here and be sure Hogwarts is safe," answered Godric. His answer felt depressing as he said it.

"Oh Godric. Why do you torture yourself with these long hours of working without rest? I mean, honestly! When was the last time you took a break for yourself?" asked Rowena, turning to face Godric.

"I mean, I went to the arena not too long ago," began Godric.

"Where you were attacked?!" countered Rowena.

Godric could see that Rowena was making sense. He had not taken a break for a long time, and Christmas did only last one day. Who would attack Hogwarts when it was one of the most festive times of the year?

"Well, I was considering visiting my..." started Godric, making plans in his mind.

Yet, again, wouldn't it be the perfect time to attack the castle again? Godric realized that if he left the castle, the mystery attacker could return, and a few workers would not even stand a chance when Godric could not even defeat his opponent. Was leaving Hogwarts the safest idea?

"No. No, I can't leave the castle. It wouldn't be the right choice," finished Godric.

"Huhhh," sighed Rowena, "I thought you would say that. Well I thought you might see where I was coming from."